We Got The House!

You all, we got The House. We. Got. The. House. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?

Let me back up a bit. So, I wrote the post. Several days passed…D and I were still in the dumps about losing the property, and we just couldn’t buck up and move on. Now, besides my flair for the occasional overly-dramatic storytelling session, I’m not an overly emotional person. Nor my husband. In fact, we’re pretty pragmatic when it comes to most major situations. We’re fairly good at dealing with whatever is thrown our way and moving on.

Except…this house. This house was consuming our thoughts. We continued to drive by it, we would call our realtor just to “check in,” and we STILL talked about what we would do with the house if it was ours. We were uncharacteristically and utterly bummed out.

A week passed, and our realtor let us know that the listing agent confirmed that everything was moving along with the prospective buyers according to plan. At that point, we decided we just had to move on. Although, you guys, I had reached an all time low when this happened.

Dude. I almost bought that thing. Like, reaaalllly considered it.

Luckily, my parents were coming into town that weekend, so I shifted my focus. It was Wito’s birthday weekend! My parents were arriving soon! Hooray! (still crying on the inside)

The weekend was perfect. (And yes, we drove my parents by the house. OF COURSE WE DID.) We celebrated Wito’s birthday, went to the Orange County fair, ate at all of our favorite restaurants, and had a blast. Cue photo collage.

See? Good times. On Saturday, upon returning from an errand with my mom, I walked into the kitchen to see D staring at me with a little smirk. He told me that our realtor had called while I was gone, informing him that things weren’t looking so good with the current buyers. The owners wanted to know if we were still interested.

WERE WE STILL INTERESTED??? DKUFBNRSILUFGNRLIUBGRLIUGBLRIUBGWLIU

We put in a backup offer. Our offer was accepted. However, our realtor begged us not to get our hopes up. Just because our offer was accepted didn’t guarantee that the original buyers would walk. They still had the power. So we waited. And waited. And on Tuesday, we got the call that the buyers had given verbal notice that they were out. Let me just say, that night was tough. All we wanted was a signed document stating it was done. That came shortly thereafter, and we opened escrow.

Holy moly, you guys. We are over the moon.

And this is just the start. We have waited and waited and waited to buy our first house (see? pragmatic), and now it’s finally time to make a house our own. Oh, the plans we have for this one! A lot of work, but it’s terribly exciting. I hope you don’t mind if this space becomes a little heavy on the home remodeling/design over the next couple of months because I really want to document the transformation from start to finish. (Let me just say…it sure pays to be married to an interior designer. I woke up this morning to our new kitchen plans sitting next to the bed.)

I’m just so happy. This weekend, I think a little champagne is in order.

• Sarah Lena

August 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm

All things, in their own time. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS!

I really cannot WAIT to see what you do with the place.

• Jessica

August 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

This is such great news for you! I’m so glad that you are getting the house and I can’t wait to see what you do with it!

August 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I’m SO HAPPY FOR YOU. I can’t wait to see it!

• Jen

August 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Congratulations!!! Ah, the fickle world of real estate. So glad it favored you. I LOVE remodeling journeys so bring it on. I will remodel vicariously. Congrats again!

• ashley

August 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I’m just so happy for you!!

• Steph

August 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Eeeee! I am so excited for you, and I can’t WAIT for this blog to become House Of Whoorl, pun intended. What city is it in (if that’s not too stalkerish of me)?

• Rhi

August 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm

yaaayyyy!

• Kimberly

August 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Woot! Big congratulations! Looking forward to seeing what you two design-minded talents do with the new place.

• Jennie

August 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Champagne indeed! Cheers, Sarah and family. Here’s to all the happiness in the world in your new home.

• Carrie

August 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm

HOORAY! The excitement! I am looking forward to following along as you make this house into a home. Congratulations!

• Home Sweet Sarah

August 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Congrats! So glad it worked out!

• laura @ hollywood housewife

August 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I am so excited for you!! We had a sort of similar experience two years ago. We looked at a house during an open house, and it was all wrong for what we thought we wanted. But we couldn’t stop talking about it! We would decorate it in conversation, “Oh we could use the couch in this space” etc. Then would stop ourselves and laugh about how dumb we were. This went on for WEEKS.

Finally, basically on a whim, we called the realtor. Turns out the owner changed listing agents THAT DAY and was reducing the price, putting it in our range. We made an offer right then and there. This week, we just finished a major kitchen remodel in our forever dream house.

Don’t dismiss the things you can’t shake. :)

August 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Laura – YES! We walked out of the first viewing thinking it would be too much work/not right for us/etc, yet we could not stop talking about it. Then with each consecutive viewing, we knew we would never find something like it again. You’re so right, don’t dismiss things you can’t shake.

I want to see your kitchen!

• Luisa

August 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Yay!! It IS your house! So happy for you. And I cannot wait for the house posts!

• Jaclyn

August 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I am SO excited to see what you do with this house. Just the bits and pieces you’ve shared about what your current home looks like, I’ve always been interested and wanting to see more. You should definitely use this space to share your ideas and your progress! So exciting!

• Lisa

August 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Congratulations!!!!! Can’t wait to see and read about all the amazing things you all will.do!!!! Cheeeeers :-)

• Krysta

August 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! I can’t even imagine how excited you guys must feel! I look forward to all of the documenting of the renovations (I love that stuff). Yahoo!

• Abby

August 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm

How wonderful, and also inspiring!!! We are just beginning our home search — like, emailed a realtor today! We’ve been looking online for what feels like months though, and it’s so tempting to get discouraged when what’s out there is not exactly everything we want. It’s encouraging to hear that there may be one out there that is going to really feel like ours, and speak to us, and not let us go. Can’t wait to find it!

And being a few steps behind you in this process, I definitely am looking forward to all the home remodeling and design posts.

Congrats!

• Janssen

August 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm

HOOORAY! Can’t wait to hear all about it – share as much as you want :)

• Jamie

August 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm

great news about the house! Wow, your kiddos look so much like your mom in those photo booth pictures. FUN!

• Jill V. / TerraSavvy

August 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm

HOLY CRAP!!!! I got goose bumps just now! I know EXACTLY what you two were going through – been there!

OK, enough caps and exclamation points!!!!

But, seriously, I am injured and I still felt the need to write anyway so HECK YEA I’M CAPPING THE REST OF THIS!

See you in November! Can’t not WAIT to hear all about it!

xoxo
    Jill

• Rebecca

August 10, 2012 at 4:07 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• Kristin

August 10, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Hooray!

• Monica

August 10, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Congrats Sarah and family! I am excited to follow along on your new renovation/decor journey. :)

• Katie

August 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Oh Sarah…I am utterly thrilled for you!!!! In fact, drinking champagne in your honor now! Loved the post too. Good to see my sweet aunt and uncle. Love to you and yours. Xoxo

• Christen

August 10, 2012 at 5:06 pm

So very happy for you! Definitely a sign this house was meant to be yours! Also looking forward to the renovation documentation. What a great adventure ahead of you!

• Linette Lyles

August 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Congrats! Look forward to seeing the renovation process as well. Enjoy this exciting chapter!

• ohjennymae

August 10, 2012 at 10:36 pm

turns out the house you had to wait for was the same one you had dreamed of!! I cam’t wait to see the house on the blog!

• Asha {Parent Hacks}

August 10, 2012 at 10:45 pm

So very happy for you, Sarah! When I read THE POST I could hear the disappointment in every single word. Now this…it really is a dream come true.

• Megan

August 10, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Yay! I’m so happy for you!

• Cathi

August 11, 2012 at 9:49 am

I gasped when I read that first sentence. The entirety of your readership is celebrating with you! So, SO happy for your lovely family!

August 11, 2012 at 11:13 am

Thank you SO much, everyone! Reading your comments makes this news even more exciting. Now, I order all of you to drink a celebratory cocktail this evening!

• Kim

August 11, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Congratulations!! So so so so awesome that it all worked out for you!

• Joy

August 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Oh my goodness, this is such great news! I’m so very happy for you and your family. It looks like this house really was meant to be and I hope it turns out to be everything you want it to be.

I can’t wait to see photos and hear about the remodeling/decorating.

Congratulations!!!!

• Rebecca

August 11, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Congratulations!!! I can’t wait to read all about your remodel, etc.

• Eva

August 11, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Mind decorating/ design posts? Are you kidding? I can’t wait to read em. We just moved into our new house, too and I’m only done with 2 rooms.

August 12, 2012 at 5:03 am

Woohoo! So exciting! Congratulation!!!

• Ninabi

August 12, 2012 at 6:41 am

Congratulations! Enjoy. I cannot wait to see all the amazing changes.

• Amy wright

August 12, 2012 at 7:40 am

I’m so happy for you!!!! Yay!!! I can’t wait to see the remodeling pics!!!!

• Torrie @ a place to share...

August 12, 2012 at 7:41 am

so, SOOO exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow… it was totally meant to be. can’t wait to see the transformation process :). CONGRATS!!!

• martymankins

August 12, 2012 at 9:48 am

Major congrats

• BeautyFrosting

August 12, 2012 at 10:40 am

Sarah!! This was such wonderful news to wake up to! I hurt for you when I read your sad news about not getting the house and now am celebrating this little life victory! Congratulations on this exciting next chapter! YAAAAAYAAAA!!!

• Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian

August 12, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Wow, I can’t believe it! Congratulations and I hope you and your family are extremely happy in your new home. What great news!

• Erin cooper

August 12, 2012 at 2:13 pm

This is so amazing! I am so thrilled for you. What a miracle!

• Holly

August 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Yay, I can’t wait to read all the home decorating/remodel posts! And that’s just so great it worked out.

• Stephanie

August 12, 2012 at 10:54 pm

That is so exciting! I cannot wait to see photos and posts about your new place and the design projects you come up with — you have such awesome style. Cheers to you and your family, dear!

• Heidi C

August 13, 2012 at 7:26 am

Ooo yay! Congratulations! I will be looking forward to some home material for your site. And wow, you sure are lucky to wake up to a new kitchen design.

August 13, 2012 at 7:57 am

I am SO SO SO SO SO HAPPY for you guys!! This is awesome news. Maybe the reason you couldn’t let it go was because it was meant to be. I can’t wait to see it and how you transform it. YIPPEE!

• Lyndsay

August 13, 2012 at 8:30 am

NOT trying to be smug, but please refer to my comment on the original “we didn’t get the house” post. I knew this would happen. SO HAPPY for you all!!!!!

• Claudia

August 13, 2012 at 9:41 am

So happy for you all!!!!!

• brianne

August 13, 2012 at 9:49 am

Hooray! Happy for you, Sarah! Looking forward to reading and seeing the new home!

• laziza

August 13, 2012 at 10:08 am

Congratulations – SO happy for you. And I suspect I speak for all your readers when I saw we would WELCOME all the remodeling posts – I’m a sucker for that stuff. Congrats again!

• Amy in StL

August 13, 2012 at 11:16 am

Congratulations! I’m closing in 9 days on my first house. I know that sick feeling too. I loved this house the moment I walked in the door and during inspection found out it had some major issues…. which the owners initially refused to fix. I was just ill thinking about having to restart the process. Well, they agreed to fix everything and I’ve been thinking house non-stop. Mine was started pre-WWII and finished post-war and has never been on the market. I’ve been on Chip It and design seeds picking out color schemes and can’t wait to get started making it mine.

• Dana @ House*Tweaking

August 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Congrats! Some things are just meant to be. Maybe all the waiting was just to make sure it really was the one. Sounds like it is. Can’t wait to see some interior design thrown into the beauty mix!

• savorysaltysweet

August 14, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Congratulations! Your love for this house totally and completely makes you the proper owners. What an exciting transition!

• Janette

August 16, 2012 at 5:03 pm

OH MY GAWD! Fab! I read your original post about losing the house and I so know that feeling! We had a similar experience with our current house but like you, we persevered and got it in the end! I love your blog and found it thru your Madeleine post. Maddie’s Mom Kajsa was in our Scandinavian Ski Club growing up..small world huh? Can’t wait to see your move in post!