19 months!

Happy 19-months to Mr. Wito Whoorlito. He’s a catch.

19mo.jpg

This is how we spent the morning. So, um, maybe this photo would be a better example of Wito’s current age.

19mos2.jpg

“BROWN! BROWN!” Yes, sweetie, it’s brown, but possibly petrified shit. Please refrain from placing in your mouth.

Bonus points for anyone who can tell me what those round, spiky balls that fall from trees are called. SAJ calls them “dingleberries”. Unfortunately, I grew up with an ENTIRELY different definition of a dingleberry, and can’t bring myself to yell, “Wito! Quit eating the that dingleberry!” at our local park.

• bethany

March 4, 2008 at 11:29 am

He’s so handsome, Whoorl:) And those look like thistles, to me….cept they fell from a tree, you say? Hmmm, dunno then.

• bethany

March 4, 2008 at 11:32 am

HAha, i just read the last sentence. I need to stop doing that, i tend to be a skimmer. I dare you to yell that, very funny! And apparently I need to read the other comments before I, myself, comment. So they are gumballs, huh?

• amanda

March 4, 2008 at 11:10 am

They are gumballs from a sweetgum tree. Those grow in CA??!! We had them in my yard in SC!

• HollyT

March 4, 2008 at 11:29 am

Yes, gumballs. We have TWO trees full of ’em, and they are the bane of our existence. We’ve taken to calling them “tree urchins.”

March 4, 2008 at 11:32 am

Gumballs? Really? That is a much more pleasant word than dingleberry.

• Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah

March 4, 2008 at 11:46 am

His eyes kill me!

• slynnro

March 4, 2008 at 12:05 pm

I had a friend, last name Sedberry, whom I called Dingleberry. He was always so irritated by this. I could not figure out why- I thought I just made up the word. I didn’t realize until years later why he was so pissed.

• Jeana

March 4, 2008 at 12:07 pm

We call them sweet gumballs. Which is a bit confusing, if your child is in the practice of eating gumballs from the candy store, but yes, much more pleasant than…er, the other.

• sarah

March 4, 2008 at 12:18 pm

how 3rd grade am i? i read “dingleberry” and started giggling. haven’t heard that for years.

• Janssen

March 4, 2008 at 12:21 pm

I agree that one ought not to be shouting about “dingleberries” in the park. Your child might be scarred for life, cute though he is.

• Susan

March 4, 2008 at 12:25 pm

In my neck of the woods, which is in at least regional proximity to yours in Oklahoma, I was taught they were sycamore balls. But, that makes no sense because they do indeed come from sweet gum trees, which I don’t think are the same thing as sycamore trees? Confusing, no?

• Brad

March 4, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Yeah, we had a sweetgum tree at our last house… and always just called them spikey balls.

Happy 19 months, little man!

• LVGurl

March 4, 2008 at 12:31 pm

He totally IS a catch!

• Sarcomical

March 4, 2008 at 12:44 pm

gah, he really did get the very best of both you and D’s features. FUTURE LADYKILLER ALERT!!!

…nah, i bet momma’s gonna teach wito how to respect all the lovelies. ;)

• Sizzle

March 4, 2008 at 12:47 pm

He’s so handsome. Don’t eat the whateveryoucallit, Wito!

• Heather Cook

March 4, 2008 at 12:48 pm

I’m not sure what those are called, but I do know they hurt when thrown at someone.

March 4, 2008 at 12:53 pm

It will not be long before the girls are calling him day and night!

Nineteen months already? I remember waiting for the dude to enter the world!

• Jen O.

March 4, 2008 at 1:00 pm

If you lived in Canada, I’d say that was for sure an acorn in it’s spikey protective shell. But I don’t know if oak trees are common in your area.

Otherwise, it’s a dingleberry.

I’m going to start telling my dog he has an acorn on his butt when he comes in from doing his bid-ness.

Coincidentally, he choked and nearly died eating a dingleberry (a spikey-shelled acorn). This is getting confusing.

• bethany actually

March 4, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Those are all over our part of Maryland. When we moved here I was told they’re called gumballs.

• amanda

March 4, 2008 at 1:02 pm

That site called them “beaklike capsules”, I like gumballs better! And boy do they ever hurt when you step on them barefoot after they turn brown.

• SAJ

March 4, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Sometimes we call them “prickle berries” or just plain “prickers”… which is especially good when you step on one with bare feet and can exclaim something along the lines of, “dad gum pricker!” or something else…

I’m so glad I’m getting famous on your blog for this.

• lini

March 4, 2008 at 2:06 pm

I can’t believe Wito is already 19 months. Where has the time gone? He reminds me so of his Mom.

• am'ti b

March 4, 2008 at 2:11 pm

oh my goodness, i can’t wait to see you wito. that is not what a dingleberry is to me either.

• whitney

March 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm

oakballs!

• Christina

March 4, 2008 at 6:07 pm

It’s a MONKEY BALL, from a Sweet Gum tree!! Well atleast that is what we call them here in Delaware. Dingleberry is a fun name too.
    My yard is constantly covered in them, my kids were collecting them today in their grocery carts!

Happy 19 months!!

• molly

March 4, 2008 at 7:16 pm

are you telling me those AREN’T prickely-pricks??? Because that is the only thing I am capable of calling them…they fall from the …prickely-prick trees. Duh.

• Leigh

March 4, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Yep, those are the spiny balls of the lovely sweetgum tree. A tree with beautiful fall color and dangerous fruit. They also have their friends the Sycamore golf balls that when stepped on completely fall apart and the little feathery seeds fly everywhere. So glad I can put my landscape designer knowledge to some good use!
    Molly says Happy 19 month birthday to her fellow Aug. 4th baby!
    And I’m with you…dingleberry has a totally different meaning around here too. ewwww.

• brooke

March 4, 2008 at 7:31 pm

they are called sweet gumballs. not just gumballs. i can’t imagine trying to chomp through one of those after they roll out of a gumball machine…

• Crystal

March 4, 2008 at 9:23 pm

I can’t believe I am the first to say this!! But although sweetgum balls is close……here in Texas (where every other friggan tree is a sweetgum) we call them Gum BURRS…ya know, because of the burrs?

So…to recap: SweetGum tree…drops gum burrs. That way there is no confusion about gross things that hang on to, well, you know…….or with wonderful things like GumBalls that are tastey. GumBurrs, not tastey or disgusting…..just fun for kids!

• MO

March 5, 2008 at 6:31 am

Yes, I am going with Gumballs.

• Mallory

March 5, 2008 at 7:01 am

We called them stickerballs and they came from the stickerball tree in front of grandma’s house.

• BeachMama

March 5, 2008 at 8:13 am

Oh he is adorable, such a handsome little guy.

Not sure what they are, I always thought they were some kind of nut when you peeled them open.

• Sally

March 5, 2008 at 8:45 am

This has absoluetly nothing to do with dingleberries or your (freaking adorable) son.
    but if you’re still looking for THE PERFECT grey bag:

Marc Jacobs is doing a ton of grey right now and they’re all gorgeous. But, I think that this bag is built from perfect.

March 5, 2008 at 10:07 am

Man, he is a cutie. And he’s so big. Mr. Grown-up all of a sudden.

• Natalie 42

March 5, 2008 at 11:38 am

Well the boy definitely got your fantastic hair! He’s just adorable. I wish I could babysit the kid; he looks like a whole lot of fun =)

I hate those damn spikey ball things. When I was a kid growing up in good ol Oklahoma my neighbor had one and I was always stepping on them. (see: Live in OK, play barefoot a lot) Their yard obviously sucked.

• Stv Mllr

March 5, 2008 at 8:35 pm

I believe that is Sputnik, the first satellite put in orbit by the former Soviet Union. Don’t ask me what it’s doing in the hands of a toddler at a park in Cali.

• Lisa Ü

March 6, 2008 at 12:05 am

Monkeyballs.

And cuteness in a little boy package. You must love seeing that everyday, even when it needs a diaper change.

• Sara

March 7, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Umm. I thought it was a Ferrero Rocher chocolate at first. Whoops! We don’t have them in PA, at least I have never seen them. But I vote for dingleberry!

• kathleen

March 7, 2008 at 7:26 pm

That there is a Monkey Ball. We used to giggle when we called them Monkey Balls. Now I feel a teeny bit of shame each time I tell my daughter to not step on that Monkey Ball…I’m a dork.

• evie Curley

March 7, 2008 at 9:21 pm

I see some folks here called them Monkey Balls. We called them that as well or Monkey Tails because of the long stem that was attached to them. Thanks for the flashback on that one.

• April

March 9, 2008 at 5:51 pm

I’m in California too, but in Sacramento. Those are the seed pods of Liquidambar trees. My parents have a bunch of them in their yard. I think we just called them burrs.

• Mia

March 25, 2008 at 2:06 pm

I just had to weigh in on this discussion. We’ve always called them Monkey Balls.

• Runr_Grl

April 1, 2008 at 11:41 am

We call ’em Monkey Balls, too – here in SE Penna. Also, GREAT to throw at your little brother while he’s wearing a bulky Irish Wool sweater … nature’s velcro.

They’re seed pods of the American Sweetgum tree… someone else also mentioned, too….