I’m Afraid Another Long Butt Era is Upon Us

I just returned from my dream mecca, Madewell, where I tried on the most darling pair of high-waist, wide-leg jeans. Oh my goodness, so flattering. SO FLATTERING. (From the front.) Straight up perfect spring weather Ali MacGraw in Love Story kick ass lightweight denim.

Although, they look a little lighter in person. Think chambray. Are you imagining it? Hell, let’s take this a step further – the jeans with one of my striped tops, my new favorite belt, and cognac leather platforms. Are we all on the same page? Good. May I just say, the jeans were perfectly delightful. I was ready to make out with them until I turned around and took a gander at my backside.

Good God! There must have been at least 12 inches from the waistband to the bottom of my derriere! And no pockets to break it up! I suddenly appeared to have the longest butt known to man. The Duchess of Long Butt!

I couldn’t take it. We said our goodbyes and parted ways.

However, now I’m thinking…should I open my mind to the long butt? Personally I’m thrilled that the days of super-low, fanny-crack jeans are on the outs, but I just don’t know if I can go all the way to other extreme just yet. What do you think? Are you rocking super high-waist, wide-leg jeans?

p.s. – Mark my words, many of us naysayers will most likely rock the high-waist long butt in the near future…do you remember my rant about leggings 5 years ago? Ahem. Never say never, is all I’m saying.

p.p.s. – I couldn’t leave without feeding my chambray addiction, so I left with these darlings. Cute, no?

• Torrie @ a place to share...

May 3, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Totally not into the long butt. My butt doesn’t have enough oomph as it is… Wouldn’t want to worsen the situation.

• Laura K.

May 3, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I think that they really, REALLY, need pockets.

• Danielle (elleinadspir)

May 3, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I think you can rock them. I cannot…but I think you can. Go for it.

• agirlandaboy

May 3, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Say no to the long-butt! At least until the trend is so widespread that it takes too much effort to resist. (And even then I will be embracing the tunic HARD.)

• Katie

May 3, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I have learned the hard way that I must always have back pockets on my jeans. Those jeans are so cute…I’m sad that they don’t have pockets!

• Rhi

May 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm

DUCHESS OF LONG BUTT! That is amazing.

I’m pretty sure my mom was the Duchess of Long Butt throughout my entire childhood. Her jeans were the worst.

May 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Maybe I should buy them and always walk backwards while leaving a room.

• verdemama

May 3, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I agree — they are darling from the front but the backside is a deal breaker. Jeans, even chambray, MUST have back pockets. Period.

• findingmagnolia

May 3, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I just snort-chuckled. I think I scared the cat. Thanks.

You know, all you have to do is wait until trousers with an even higher rise come out, and then these will simply look modest. Those of us still wearing low rise pants, by comparison, will look like women of ill repute.

(And I hear you about the leggings. I also balked at skinny jeans. Will I be sporting long butt pants and donning jeggings next? I am afraid to answer that question.)

• Rachel

May 3, 2011 at 8:31 pm

No Long Butt for me. I won’t even do Regular Length Butt in Jeans Without Back Pockets.

And I think cropped leggings under skirts or dresses is a cute look but I simply cannot abide Leggings As Pants. Leggings worn with a shirt that does not cover your butt? NOT A GOOD LOOK. ON ANYONE. I MEAN IT.

• slynnro

May 3, 2011 at 8:38 pm

NO LONG BUTT. I cannot enable this!

• Robyn

May 3, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I call those ‘bag o’ ass jeans.’ My butt is already naturally sort of long and I need no emphasis there, so this trend will be a pass for me.

• Haley @ Cardigan Junkie

May 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm

This happened to me too… short people cannot rock the long butt look. :-/

May 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm

You and I have a similar build (which you know) but I cannot wear jeans (or pants) that do not have pockets on the butt. Just…no.

• Siera

May 3, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I hadn’t read your rant on leggings but I just did. If I had been pregnant in 2005 I would’ve had the same reaction. But I was pregnant in 2007 when they were in style. And yes, I did buy a pair to go with a cute grey empire waist shirt. Which I didn’t even buy a maternity store. It was/is a great time to be pregnant fashion wise. Now I want to go find said shirt and pair it with a wide belt

• Mia

May 3, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I have such a bubble butt, and a short one at that, that I think these may actually make my ass like normal, if that makes any sense. Will definitely be trying these out…

• Sonja von Franck

May 3, 2011 at 11:55 pm

OMG – With the shirt tucked in and a belt I would so be Dolly Parton in 9 to 5 in these jeans!! 9 to 5? Is that the right reference? I’m not sure… Anyways, I could wear these, but NOT with the shirt tucked in! Being super busty, if I wore these I’d have like 3 inches of space between the waist and my bust. Not a good look!! But with a shirt that hits me at the hips I’d be much more proportional. I had a pair of jeans like this with no pockets for years and wore them a ton. Who knows! Maybe those Forenza/Trocadera button down short in the front, long in the back shirts will come back in style and it won’t be an issue!

• am'ti b

May 4, 2011 at 12:01 am

love the pants you got. jury is still out for me on long butt, i always do a longer tunic/top so my tush is covered-at least yours is round!

• Maya

May 4, 2011 at 1:20 am

As someone who has an unfortunate natural (thanks mom) long butt and giant hips, I will Never, ever ever ever endorse these horrors. That being said, I’m sure you could.

• Maya

May 4, 2011 at 1:21 am

Ps I still hate leggings. Just sayin’- and I actually worse some with a skirt this weekend. Ewwww!

• Nicole

May 4, 2011 at 4:55 am

Buy them and wear a long messenger bag over your fanny when coming and going. They’re cute, but I have way too much junk in the truck to wear something of that nature. It would be hysterical.

• Mir

May 4, 2011 at 5:56 am

The pants you bought are adorable. I look at these high-waist jeans and the Three’s Company theme song starts playing in my head. I can’t get into it. I just can’t. (But I hear you on succumbing to resistance. I railed against skinny jeans for years and now I have a pair I love. BUT they aren’t skin-tight. So that’s practically like I resisted. Shut up, it is.)

May 4, 2011 at 6:13 am

I’m thinking that just because something is “in fashion” doesn’t make it something we have to wear. Just say no to long butt! The other pants you bought are cuter.

• Alice Q. Foodie

May 4, 2011 at 6:26 am

It’s just something we’re not used to. If you can wear these and have them not look like mom jeans you’re in good shape. I say go for it. :)

• narmalie

May 4, 2011 at 9:25 am

I have to second Mir on this one. “Come and knock on our doooorrr…” But I do love the ones you ended up buying!

• Marianne

May 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Pockets! Pockets, pockets, pockets. I am dying for some high waisted flares but I want them to look a bit more modern.

• Kathleen @ Sugar and Spice

May 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I hear you.

That dare-ree-air shot is good from far, butt far from good.

I love what you bought along with those cognac platforms. (plus belt and shirt et al)

For me, I am swooning over these babies. A Good Medium Rise.

ON SALE TO BOOT {TAY………}

Oh yeah, where have you been all my life?

• Cecily

May 5, 2011 at 3:37 am

I am so not ready for the long butt! On the flipside, the long leg part looks great.

• Jessica

May 5, 2011 at 4:22 am

Hmm. I think high waisted is good; it can really balance out a figure. However, give us some really big square pockets on the back (none of that coin slash pocket crap). Nice tailored high waisted trousers and big square pockets? I’m in. Keep in mind, don’t you just know that if this catches on there are going to be lots of people wearing the waist too tight. From the top, these pants look like Z Cavariccis.

I also have to say, having been pregnant very recently, that I thought there was an epidemic in maternity pants of missing pockets or coin pockets. Thank you maternity clothes makers for making my ass look both long AND wide.

• grace @ahead

May 6, 2011 at 7:14 am

should i be scared? i don’t think i can pull that kind of jeans off. again. lol. thanks for sharing!
    I hope you can also check out our site at
    http://www.aheadinteractivetutorial.com. thanks!

• Alix H.

May 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Good God NO!

These would be deserving of a heavy fine and citation.

• Arlee

May 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Oh No! I am so short, these jeans will be all the up to my boobs! This is one trend I may not be able to participate in.

• Alyssa

May 16, 2011 at 12:41 pm

For those of us who are short waisted, low rise was the best invention ever, it’s where I had been wearing my jeans all along except now they fit me in the butt instead of there being huge amounts of extra fabric. For the love of god no.