hair thursday makeover 77

sabra_before

Sabra’s hair:

Very thick and relatively unruly
Wavy
Large gray streaks
Normal to dry condition
Looking for a style that takes advantage of her natural waves
Open to new products
Petite frame with a small face

From Sabra’s email:

I’m desparate for direction. Bangs? or No? Keep growing? More layers? Smoother? Change the color? Anything goes! I’ve shaved my head in the past, cut my own bangs with a knife on a moving boat, colored it black, plum, brown, let it go naturally grey, then dyed it back. My only requirement is that whatever style I have be reasonably executable given that I get up at 5 in the morning to work east coast hours from New Mexico.

I’ve reached a delicate age (41) where I feel like having more hair is a flattering choice, but I’m struggling with how to manage the copious volume without looking deranged. I also want to maintain an edge (I’m a rock star — seriously I have a band and we gig) while also looking like I could work in an office (which I do). I would probably like to keep growing it a bit, but really I’d rather look sharp than have long hair for its own sake.

Sabra is making a salon visit this weekend, so let’s get started with her questions.

Bangs? No. (At least not short ones. Too many cowlicks.)

Keep growing? Maybe. I think a cut just above the shoulder would look great, although Sabra has a great face for a below-the-ear, wavy bob.

More layers? Well, layers always help with making waves beautiful and bouncy.

Smoother? Yes, and a curl-enhancing creme will work wonders on Sabra’s hair. (It will reduce the “crispy” look that I notice in her before photo.)

Change the color? Yes. The tones in Sabra’s hair are looking a little bit brassy. I would love to see a brunette look with subtle golden highlights – similar to the options below.

sabra_options

Be sure to check out other gorgeous celebrity hairstyles at Daily Makeover!

If Sabra decides to go shorter, I like Marcia Gay Harden‘s naturally wavy bob. With a couple of wave-enhancing products, she could wash, air-dry and be done for the day. Using a styling lotion or creme will definitely help give Sabra the smoothness she is looking for – I would recommend staying away from gels and/or mousses to keep from the crispy curl look. (Also, be sure to apply product with a light hand. A quarter-sized dollop is more than enough in most situations.)

However, I am loving Sophia Bush‘s layered bob for Sabra. It’s totally youthful, flirty and bouncy with tons of shine. I like the long sideswept layer sweeping across the front, which would really accent Sabra’s blue-green eyes. Plus, it could be smoothed out for work, but definitely gives a rockstar vibe when worn wavy.

What do you think?

I can’t wait to see what Sabra decides this weekend. We shall soon see….

• Kaleigha

September 24, 2009 at 11:51 am

LOVE Sophia Bush’s look!
    .-= Kaleigha´s last blog ..Looking like a Lemon. =-.

September 24, 2009 at 11:52 am

I think she’d look really great with an even shorter cut. She’s got the face and frame to carry it!
    .-= sizzle´s last blog ..Internalizing =-.

• Sundry

September 24, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Sabra’s hair = my hair! I’ve never been able to embrace the waves (hello, slave to the flatiron) because of the frizz factor, but maybe I’ve been using the wrong styling goo.

• Lisa

September 24, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Option 1, but with a fun color addition. Gotta keep the rocker edge. Add a nice streak of violet or something that doesn’t clash with the natural color… and something that doesn’t scream 14y/o. (Neon pink, or green might be a bit much)

• Kerri Anne

September 24, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Yes! to bangs. Option 2 is super cute.

• All Women Stalker

September 24, 2009 at 2:10 pm

option 2 looks cute! But she looks like she can pull off a very short do.

-meream
    .-= All Women Stalker´s last blog ..15 Coolest Looks from “Back to School” Fashion Trend … =-.

• Kirsten

September 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I’m totally loving MGH’s look. But with a different color… mebbe some red? Or a cool rocker streak of bright… if her job allows.

• Sabra

September 25, 2009 at 8:06 am

Okay, I’ve already ordered the curl creme…it’s obvious I’ve been doing the wrong thing, product-wise. I’m hung up on stuff I used when my hair was super-short (e.g. gels and pastes … I know, stop rolling your eyes!). I’m digging the recommendations. Hair appt is 10/3…we’ll document it all!
    .-= Sabra´s last blog ..Re-awakening My Office Supply Fetishism =-.

• Tavia

September 25, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I think her hair is not long enough for option 2, but if she decided to have that look she must wait a while until her hair will be longer:) Both options are beautiful.
    .-= Tavia´s last blog ..Academie Professional Facial Treatments =-.

• Liz Dygert

September 28, 2009 at 9:02 am

I think option two is a better choice, has a better feel and style to it. She would need to grow her hair out a bit more to accomplish it though.

• Jenibee

September 29, 2009 at 9:14 am

I adore you for linking to Real Curl! Based upon your recommendation I ordered a bottle and *WOW!* — this stuff is awesome! Instead of a head full of crunchy frizz, I’ve actually got defined and controlled waves. Thanks so very much!

• Update — Sabra : Hair Thursday

October 8, 2009 at 7:12 am