I’ve printed out several helpful question sheets for nanny interviews from various websites, but I really want to ask the following questions:
1) Will you be washing your hands after defecating in my bathroom?
2) Have I seen your boyfriend/husband on Dateline’s “To Catch A Predator”?
3) Will you fill the bottles from the tap because you’re too lazy to use the cold filtered water which has to be heated (not in the microwave of course, HOT SPOTS! HOT SPOTS!)?
4) Are you prone to fits of rage involving hurling babies across rooms?
5) Are you comfortable with an over-protective and curious mother stopping by the house every hour to check up on you?
No, you say? Excellent.
nabbaliciousNovember 14, 2006 at 5:29 pm
You’re going to let them poop in your bathroom?!
AmandaNovember 14, 2006 at 5:40 pm
Question #2 is my favourite!
AngellaNovember 14, 2006 at 6:39 pm
How about, “Can you sign a waiver that allows me to film you on my Nanny-Cam in every room in my house, including the pooper?”
JessieNovember 15, 2006 at 4:05 am
Sounds reasonable to me.
HeatherNovember 15, 2006 at 5:10 am
I think you SHOULD ask those questions.
Heather B.November 15, 2006 at 7:01 am
I’m totally guilty of #3. I never filled up the bottle with tap water, but I did heat it up in the microwave.
Kid’s still alive.
katieNovember 15, 2006 at 8:00 am
I like Angella’s question! I was a nanny for a few years and I think any decent nanny understands the parents’ need to check in (often at first) and shouldn’t feel insulted by it. A good question to ask is, “What would you do if he woke up crying after only fifteen minutes of sleep?”. A mom asked me this in an interview and I said, “I would go check on her and see if she is wet/hungry/in need of a cuddle.” She acted relieved and said that I was the first out of four applicants to say that, the others all said that they would let the baby cry it out. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll find someone that’s a perfect fit!
ms. sizzleNovember 15, 2006 at 8:37 am
scenario questions! that’s how you can find out the answers to some of these questions without being blatant.
am'ti bNovember 15, 2006 at 10:57 am
you must interview these folks at your house. that way they see that you and d both might have a bit of ocd, that is after d does some cleaning and you toss around some serious factoids you have researched about electronics, sports and child care. you are so thorough, there shouldn’t be a problem.
liniNovember 15, 2006 at 1:14 pm
Does the grandmother get to vote on the nanny? Film all interviews and forward to me. You probably think I’m kidding-I’m not!
krisNovember 15, 2006 at 1:32 pm
I think you’re supposed to ask if they’re really British. Everyone and their mother is using the faux accent these days.
Mrs. SNovember 15, 2006 at 1:39 pm
You are far more brave than I – I don’t think I could look for child care if my life depended on it. As it is, we’re hoping that I’ll be able to get a part time job so the hubs can be w/ the baby the times I can’t… and if he can’t, my grandmother says she’ll fill in as needed. If I had to look for outside-of-family-daycare, my head would explode… and I just don’t have the time to clean up that type of mess right now.
I can’t wait to hear your adventures in Nanny-hiring, though :D
BeachMamaNovember 15, 2006 at 3:24 pm
Good questions! And definately the drop by at anytime thing is a real question.
undercover celebrityNovember 15, 2006 at 10:37 am
So, are you planning on paying this nanny extremely well? Because, I am in the market for a new job. And, as a unique qualification I am absolutely obsessed with little Anders. I think he may just be the cutest baby alive. And, I really don’t want to have to steal him from you — so if you just hire me as your nanny and pay me ridiculous amounts of money, we all win. You get a nanny who adores your child, and I can avoid felony jail time. :)
Ok, just to be clear, I was attempting to be humerous and have no acutal intention of stealing your baby. Sleep easy. :)
MamaBearNovember 16, 2006 at 1:37 pm
Actually, do ask them! Seriously, I didn’t and i regretted it.
-Do you go to AA meetings (believe it or not, i didn’t ask and later found out she was!!!!!)
– Do you or have you in the past 10 years done any illegal drugs?
– Do you or have you ever smoked cigarettes?
– And do always ask if she washes her hands after every time in the bathroom. Check the soap before and after she leaves to double-check her!!!!
– And if she has any crimina convictions or lawsuits againts her
– Lastly, has a child ever been hurt or hospitalized while in her care. ASK !!!! Seriously, and watch for their reaction. You will know if they are not comfortable answering.