One of the list suggestions in yesterday’s comments (Hi Bearca!) was my all-time favorite lip glosses. And if you know me at all, you know I am all sorts of serious when it comes to this subject. I have a small army of glosses scattered around the house. How could I possibly downgrade such an important list to the comments section?!
And really, why talk about parenting issues, global warming or the 2008 elections (Barack! I was in LA in spirit!) when you can talk about LIP GLOSS? On this here blog! Let’s get to it!
Disclaimer: Whoorl has dark hair, dark eyes and fair skin. Whoorl does not guarantee lip gloss compatibility with different skin tones. Failure to recognize this fact could lead to erroneous purchasing of lip gloss and irritability after the fact. You should not commit to new lip gloss if you have a history of finicky behavior or poor decision-making skills. Please consult a professional (like the Sephora mavens) before attempting lip gloss replacement. The professional may need to conduct a color swatch and gloss application to ensure the proper match. Lip gloss application may cause pruritis and swelling of the lips, headache, nausea and diarrhea. However, the most common side effect is suddenly looking smokin’ HOT.
Lip gloss criteria:
1. I don’t do sticky. Nothing is worse than a chunk of your freshly-washed hair stuck in your lips. I would much rather reapply than deal with the stick. Sadly, this means no MAC lip glass, Bobbi Brown lip gloss, etc.
2. Glitter is a deal breaker. I can deal with very finely-milled flecks, but that’s it. Inevitably, lip gloss wears off and those big hunks of glitter solely remain, making me look like I ate colloidal silver for breakfast.
Without further ado…
THE LIP GLOSS LIST
1. Chanel Glossimer in Spark – I think 75% of the people I know own this shade. From what I gather it looks great on pretty much anyone.
2. Delux Beauty Lip Gloss – I have about 6 or 7 of these. They aren’t sticky at all, very sheer (but buildable) and come in a tiny little tube that fits in the smallest of purses or pockets. This used to be important to me when I had a social life. Now, they can be a little tricky to find swimming in my humongous diaper bag. Oh, but they are worth it. My personal faves are:
Jasper – sheer shimmery pink
Norris – raspberry gold
Asher – shimmerless nude pink
Hank – peachy cream
Odin – mauve berry
Sephora has stopped carrying these glosses – rumor has it that Delux Beauty is going out of business. I’d shut down my business too if I just had twins and was married to McDreamy. I guess I better stock up.
3. Laura Mercier Lip Glace in Blush – This is a beautiful color. It’s definitely the most pigmented of my glosses (I usually steer towards the very sheer), but this is a no-fail compliment-getter. They say it’s a medium rose brown, but it’s more of a peachy-pink on me.
4. Stila Lip Glaze in Raspberry – They call it a “high gloss fuschia”. Frankly, that frightens me. I would say it’s a fun sheer fruity color for the summer. However, I can’t stand the clicky pen applicators. It either doesn’t release enough or overflows all over the place. Also, Apricot is a nice barely-there shade.
5. NARS lip gloss – Oh my, I love NARS. Especially the blushes. Of course, I rushed out and bought the Orgasm lip gloss to match my Orgasm blush, but sadly, it looks terrible on me. However, I really like the feel of the gloss. Metalia recently purchased Rose Birman, which intrigues me (yes, lip gloss intrigues me. Have you EVEN been paying attention?!)
So, tell me. What are your favorite lip glosses?
Oh SHIT, I’m about to faint from all the possibilities!
BethanyFebruary 21, 2007 at 12:44 pm
Hey… I’m a no-lip-gloss gal… so I cannot share my fav with you! But I did want to say THANKS for the link on your blog to http://www.etsy.com. I’ll be on the computer for hours now forgetting all about housework and such…
LyndsayFebruary 21, 2007 at 12:45 pm
1) NARS Positano
2) Neutrogena Dreamy (Alltime fav & it’s cheap)
3) NARS Chelsea Girls
These three glosses literally get me stopped by strangers at the mall to ask me what I’m wearing.
TereFebruary 21, 2007 at 12:59 pm
Cliniqueâ€™s Black Honey! Love! I still have a tube… purchased a few years ago, but I can’t let go!
I think it’s still available… not sure, though…
guinness girlFebruary 21, 2007 at 1:05 pm
Now that I have Pout Plump, I may never love another lip gloss again. Seriously. It feels heavenly and tastes yummy, too. Well, yummy in a minty waxy sort of way.
Oh – and I really did love my ex – embarrassingly, Jessica Simpson’s “Dessert” lip gloss. Ha. I should be ashamed to admit that I bought this.
Napoleon Auto-Pilot is great for just a plain gloss to cover lipstick, too.
Am adoring your list. Is it sad that I likely will write down your suggestions on a post-it note before leaving your site?
AmandaFebruary 21, 2007 at 1:07 pm
Despite your knocking the MAC Lipglass, that’s what I use every day. In the “Lust” shade. Because I am a horny housewife. Not really, but it just looks nice with whatever makeup I feel like wearing.
kristinFebruary 21, 2007 at 1:19 pm
C.O. Bigelowâ„¢ Mentha Lip Tints in #1136 (Red/Brown) is AMAZING! the color would flatter anyone – it’s a very sheer nude-but-i-just-ate-a-strawberry kind of color that tastes like you just brushed your teeth… i am in love!!!
don't call me ma'amFebruary 21, 2007 at 1:20 pm
Hate the sticky glosses… am so tired of hair sticking to lips in this windy part of town. Must try Chanel!
I do, however, own 5 of the 11 shades of the Burt’s Bees shimmering. Love, love, LOVE them.
Was very hopeful for the Beauty Rush line at VS, but, alas, they are all about the sticky. They taste good, though. Strawberry Fizz and Cherry Bomb are quite delicious.
Thanks for the endorsements. I’ll be rushing out to spend more money I don’t have. :-)
JeniferFebruary 21, 2007 at 1:30 pm
I always have clinique clear in my purse. I love the color of my lips and it enhances them just so. I also am a Burt’s Bees girl and I have three but I don’t have them in my purse because I switched out this morning in a rush. I want to say two of them are the same shade.
Now, I have a new list of colors to buy at Neiman Marcus. I’ve never owned a Chanel anything because it wasn’t available in the ho-hum towns that I was living in. But, thankfully, in Houston, they have it all!
natalieFebruary 21, 2007 at 1:35 pm
Well, this is awesome! I mostly wear Cocoa Care Cocoa Butter lip balm! But I love a nice light gloss so I’m all over these suggestions. I too hate heavy lipsticks but love gloss or lip balm but I always have a hard time picking the right colors. I think it looks faboo then I get it on and its a completely different color…great. So, since these are coming from a lip gloss connoisseur I will give them a try!
whoorlFebruary 21, 2007 at 1:40 pm
dcmm- do tell. what shades of bb shimmering do you have? do you have nutmeg, rhubarb or raisin? i haven’t seen them in person yet, but i like the descriptions of those on the bb site. just wondering…
amyFebruary 21, 2007 at 2:00 pm
Oh this is a wonderful idea for a post! I actually have it on my list of things to get at Nordstroms: Lipgloss. As if i need more.
Mac: hate the lipgelee. dig the lipglass in viva glam. hear ya on the sticky though.
Bobbi Brown: disappointed in the new lip gloss shimmer.
But these brands don’t matter cause whoorl no likey.
Benefit Cosmetics: my sister sells this so i have a lot of it and love it. great marketing! Sold at Macy’s and Sephora.
must try Smooch. it is a lip treatment but it is like nothing you have ever used. has vit e. literally soaks in and stays on. this is my burts bees back up.
#2 must try…lip plump. this is a primer that fills in lines and builds. a necissity before good lip gloss! i love love love this stuff.
also…color plump which is a pencil form of gloss. very cool. color: yoo hoo.
Chanel: Glossimer in twinkle.
#1 fav: Burts Bees in Champagne. The stuff rocks. But…the other colors get dark and so be careful!
IsabelFebruary 21, 2007 at 2:29 pm
Um, thanks for all the awesome suggestion. I am not lying when I say I took notes. And will be taking my notes (and a wad of cash) with me to Sephora as soon as work is over today. Dude, why is make up so much money? And why do we love it so?
ErinFebruary 21, 2007 at 3:43 pm
I am with Tere – I love the Avon glazewear! Not sticky, nice smooth texture, no fragrance, great selection of colours – what more could a girl ask for? Oh yeah, and cheap like borscht.
SAJFebruary 21, 2007 at 2:46 pm
I’m sad and uncool. I know nothing about lipgloss. NOTHING! And you call me your friend. Not for long, probably.
erikaFebruary 21, 2007 at 4:06 pm
Whoorl, you my friend are an enabler.
And I love it. ::: grabs some scratch paper :::