How To Use Feedly

how to use feedly

As many of you know, Google Reader is finito as of July 1, 2013. Sadness! You all know how much I adored the next button, right?

When presented with a conundrum like this, you can choose two different routes. Remain in complete denial until POOF, your RSS feeder has completely disappeared, taking with it all of those precious saved posts and general bloggy bits of goodness OR you can prepare yourself before you wreck yo self. I’m sure it’s no surprise that I, Sarah, Queen of the List-Making and Type A-ness, chose the latter.

So! I asked around and the two RSS readers I heard about the most were Feedly and Bloglovin. I ultimately chose to use Feedly as my RSS reader because I really love the simple, clean interface, and frankly, the term “bloglovin” bugs me. Priorities, people.

Now that I feel relatively confident with how Feedly works, I’m here to get you all set straight, if need be.

First, let me start off by saying that my first visit to Feedly wasn’t so great. After importing my feeds from Google Reader (to import your google reader feeds over to feedly, simply login to feedly using your google account), I do believe it looked a bit like this.

feedly list view

Yuck. Listen, I very much enjoy looking at images and graphics via my feed reeder, and this text-based list of my unread blog posts was sadder than sad. I suddenly felt like I was doing homework, not reading my favorite blogs.

So I started to play around and realized that I could view the unread blog posts in many different forms. The card view:

feedly card view

The full view:

fullview

Or my favorite way, the magazine view:

feedly magazine view

The above image is my Feedly home page. I love it because it isn’t jumbled, the style is very clean and modern, and I enjoy seeing the blog post thumbnails.

Now, if I want to read the full post, I just click on the title, and the post populates on the page.

feedly full post

When I’m finished reading the post, I can share it, save it, and/or delete it from my unread list.

And speaking of saved posts, I love accessing my saved posts in Feedly.

feedly saved posts

Such a pretty format, right?

Also, finding a blog via Feedly is super easy. Just click on “Add content” in the left sidebar, and a search bar will pop up on the right.

add content feedly

From there you can input specific blogs or search subjects like design, photography, DIY, or whatever floats your boat.

You can also change your viewing layout and your filters. Feel the need to ‘mark all as read’ once in while? You can do that too.

feedly layout

There are also some wicked keyboard shortcuts, but I’m not pretending to act like I know about those.

Want to customize? The preferences section is really robust.

prefs

Plus, you can organize all your feeds into categories. Type A alert, I repeat, TYPE A ALERT.

organize

Now, Feedly does have one challenge that baffles me, so much so that I’ve searched message boards to make sure I’m not missing something. You can’t view your posts in strict chronological order. It’s the strangest thing! I will have a few posts listed from today, then a couple from a day before, then back to today. Please, Feedly, make that happen, mmmkay? Also, how about a ‘next’ button? That would be the Best Thing Evah.

I’m sure I’m only scratching the surface in regards to Feedly, but hopefully this will get you on the right track should you decided to use it. Let me know if you have any questions or any additional tips that I should know about in the comments. Or just feel free to share your Google Reader eulogy. RIP.

• Global ims Media marketing

July 3, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Because as you learn, even if you possess some of the
    best ways to do online advertising today. Although the random approach will ensure quick distribution amidst a wide demographic, ironically the better way to
    drive traffic and create visibility for your website even
    before you develop it.

• Marlene @ Jade and Fern

July 9, 2013 at 4:56 pm

This is such a helpful tutorial! I just started using a reader a few months ago and chose Bloglovin.’ But since every blogger and their grandmothers have been reminding us about the end of Google Reader, I heard the name “Feedly” enough that I wanted to give it a try. I LOVE the way you can categorize (absolutely a Type A personality over here).

However, I’m having trouble with something really silly and fundamental. When reading an article on Feedly, how do I get to the ORIGINAL article on the blog? I don’t want to see all the blog reader crap when I’m looking at a post, I want to go to the blog itself. Is this possible? Am I missing something really obvious?

• Mama Spark

July 10, 2013 at 6:18 am

This was so helpful! Just wondering if you know how to find your URL in Feedly? It says I can “search for my blog” but I can’t figure out how to do that and get my URL from there. I want to add a follow me on Feedly button but using my blog address results in an error. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Wireless Router

July 14, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Superb site. Lots of practical information below. I am mailing this to several friends ans moreover spreading in delicious. And naturally, thank you so much with your efforts!

• Look these up

July 20, 2013 at 8:38 am

Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter
    and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.

There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off
    topic but I had to tell someone!

• Anonymous

July 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Amazing blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any tips? Thank you!

• Business Loans Fast

July 23, 2013 at 9:11 pm

You really make it sound very easy using your demonstration however i to find this disorder for being actually something which I do believe I’d by no means have an understanding of. That sort of senses way too elaborate and intensely significant for me personally. We’re having a look to your next submit, We’ll try to find the adhere than me!

• personal loan

August 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I absolutely loved every
    bit of it. I have you book marked to look at new stuff you post…

• good advice

August 11, 2013 at 7:20 am

Hi there! Someone in my Facebook group shared
    this website with us so I came to take a look.
    I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking
    and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Outstanding blog and terrific design and
    style.