2021 Updated Hair Routine
Time for an update on all things hair, yes? Last year, I went from an overall one-length style with blunt bangs to a modern shag with lots of layers and textured bangs. (I know some of you will ask – my stylist used scissors to achieve this look, not a razor, although many stylists prefer a razor for shag styles. I prefer my ends not to be super feathery.)
This style change has made a world of difference in terms of styling my hair. Whereas I previously blow-dried my hair smooth and then used heat tools to create waves, now I just embrace my natural waves and let it air dry. You all, the amount of time I have saved not having to blow dry my hair is pretty much astronomical and I am not mad about it. However, there are definitely some tricks to making my waves work for me.
So let’s walk through my full hair routine as well as my favorite products and tools!
My Favorite Hair Products
Shampoo and Conditioner
I can’t live without my Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Brilliant Shine Shampoo and Conditioner. This is my shampoo and conditioner of choice and has been for years.
HOWEVER, we need to have a discussion. Huddle up.
My hair is normal condition and not color-treated. If you have color-treated and/or thirsty, dry hair, I would then recommend the EVOLVh shampoo and conditioner for a moisture boost. When my hair is feeling dry, EVOLVh is the product line I always reach for.
Leave-In Conditioner and Masks
Get 15% off EVOLVh products with the code WHOORL!
Ranavat Mighty Majesty Fortifying Hair Serum
Hairstory Hair Balm
Hairstory Undressed Texturizing Spray
Sexy Hair Big Powder Play
Innersense Whipped Cream Texturizer
Cleo + Coco Dry Shampoo in Basil Mint
Brushes and Combs
I brush through my hair completely with a Mason Pearson brush every night before bed.
I like to accentuate the layering around my face so I pull my hair back frequently and have amassed many clips from this chic brand.
My Favorite Styling Tools
T3 Cura Luxe Hair Dryer – Not getting a ton of play right now, but this dryer is a total workhorse and I’ve loved mine for years. Also, while we’re on the subject, I really enjoy that this dryer has a cool shot button that you don’t have to hold down while using. It’s the little things, y’all.
T3 Lucea ID 1″ Styling Iron – Holy
fairy hairy godmother of hair tools! I flipping love this thing! Where do I even start?
Well, how about 9 heat settings based on your hair texture, length, and color treatment inputs. Yes, my friends. Smart, personalized heat with fantastic results.
Here’s the deal…one temperature is not for everyone…hell, I need different temps for different parts of my own hair. I simply love the lower heat settings for my bangs because it smoothes them out without taking the life out of them. Are we tracking here? You know when you take too much heat to the bangs (or any part of your hair, really) and they end up looking like a straw husk with rigor mortis? At that point you might as well re-wet the hair, right?
Well, never fear with this styling iron. Tons of heat settings, a super cool touchscreen, CeraGloss™ ceramic plates that smooth the hair cuticle and lock in shine, and an ion generator that infuses millions of frizz-smoothing negative ions. (Science, people. Science.)
Also, did I mention the Refresh Mode for second-day retouches with less heat exposure to help protect your hair?
This iron is a superstar. End of story.
You can watch me styling my bangs with the Lucea ID in this video. And drumroll please, use the code WHOORL22 to get 22% off your T3 purchase through the links above!
My Hair Routine
1. Wash, condition, and towel dry (every 2-3 days).
2. Comb through with a wide-toothed comb.
CAVEAT: I know some of you don’t have the time to air-dry. So I suggest washing your hair in the evening and letting it air dry before bed. I prefer this method for most days. When you wake up the next morning, continue with the steps!
4. Style my bangs, which either means letting them go wild and wavy or smoothing them a bit with my styling iron. (Having multiple heat settings is important for bangs! The lower the better so they don’t look too straight or weird on the ends.)
5. When my hair is dry, I might add a few waves with my styling iron just around the face if needed. I then apply one pump of the Ranavat Mighty Majestic Fortifying Hair Serum throughout my hair for added shine and to smooth any frizzy pieces. The scent is DIVINE…I practically have my hair shoved up my nose as I type this. Listen to me, if you like jasmine, purchase this serum. (But, ahem, don’t do it until March 1st. I promise you will understand why then. *wink*)
6. For my volume-loving gals – I love to use a bit of Sexy Hair Big Powder Play at the roots around my bangs and crown which gives me textured volume and lift where I want it as well as accentuating my subtle shag shape. It also provides awesome grip to the hair, if you tend to smooth, slippery individual strands like yours truly.
This method saves so much time while also saving your hair from tons of heat damage due to repeated blow-drying.
Styling my hair has become very easy over the past few months due to these products, tools, and methods. If you have any questions, be sure to leave them in the comments!