You Guys, My Hair. (This is Time-Sensitive. And Sewious.)

Opinions, please! I’m in California tying up loose ends for a couple of days, and of course, making a visit to Anh Co Tran.

Remember the last transformation he did this summer? Isn’t he just the best? He’s the best.

Well, my hair has already grown 2-3 inches and I am debating between two options.

NUMERO UNO

Keep the lived-in look, but take it shorter, like collarbone length. Something to effect of this.

collarbone

image credit: Anh’s Instagram

This cut would be super easy for me to manage, given I only wash and style my hair twice a week. The rest of the days, I wouldn’t have to touch it. Frankly, it’s the cut I was planning on. The only (huge) con is that most of Johnny’s highlights would be cut off, and I just paid a pretty penny for them this summer.

But then. THEN. I starting to notice bangs popping up in Anh’s Instagram feed, and the itch commenced.

NUMERO DOS

alexachung

You guys, I’m kind of wanting the bangs again. Alexa Chung bangs. I don’t want perfect bangs, pretty bangs or sideswept bangs. Nope. I want messy, unkempt bangs and hair. Basically, I want to pay a lot of money to look like I just rolled out of bed.

BUT YOU JUST GREW YOUR BANGS OUT, SARAH. I know, I know. Tell me I shouldn’t do it.

It’s just that…well, I like the way bangs frame my face. (Remember my bangs of yore?. 1. 2. 3.) I’ve got a narrow noggin, and sometimes the forehead gets a bit too much play, if you know what I mean. Plus, since I’m officially 40 and not interested in Botox, bangs are a good way to cover up my Resting Bitch Face furrow between my brows…uh, it’s pretty pronounced these days. Also, D is begging me to cut them. He’s a fan.

But the trimming. And the fussing about. And the growing out. The struggle is real.

Should I keep rocking the forehead and cut the collarbone-length bob or leave the hair longer and cut some bangs OR cut the collarbone-length bob AND add bangs? Also, is it that I want bangs like Alexa Chung or that I want TO BE Alexa Chung? Hmmm.

I welcome your thoughts. Peace be with you. Also, it’s nice here in California. I left Oklahoma just as the temps plummeted into the 30s. Fist bump.

• Monica

November 11, 2014 at 7:50 am

I vote bangs plus keep the length. But either choice will look great on you.

• Susan

November 11, 2014 at 7:52 am

I vote number one. I think that cut would be more flattering on you.

• Elizabeth

November 11, 2014 at 8:00 am

Something to think about is the crazy wind in Oklahoma. I have had bangs and had a hard time keeping them separate from my long hairs. So I ended up Bobby pinning them back a lot and eventually grew them out. I love the look of them though!

• Jen

November 11, 2014 at 8:00 am

Oooh, I’m with D.! Go with the BANGS! You are stunning no matter what, but I have such a soft spot for bangs!

• Joyce

November 11, 2014 at 8:02 am

I vote bangs this time (keep the length and those pricey gorgeous highlights) and then go shoulder length once the bangs (and highlights) grow out! Best of both worlds :)

• michelleLG

November 11, 2014 at 8:11 am

^good option :)

• Amy J

November 11, 2014 at 8:04 am

No bangs! Think of the hassle with yoga!

• Kaitie Tee

November 11, 2014 at 8:14 am

I share your hair struggles! For the past 3 years I’ve alternated between bangs & no bangs. I love the look of bangs but I hate the upkeep. I love 110 miles from the only hairdresser I’ve ever trusted so keeping them properly trimmed is next to impossible. Do you have someone in OKC you trust to help you with trims? If yes, I say go back to bangs. If not, I’d say go with option 1. Trimming them yourself is asking for trouble my Type A friend – you’ll never think you did it right.

I actually brought in a pic of Alexa to my last cut. And I’m loving the collarbone grazing length. It’s so quick to dry & style but it can still look sultry for a night out. Good luck with your choice!

• Becky

November 11, 2014 at 8:15 am

Dos!!! Mix it up!

• Mina

November 11, 2014 at 8:21 am

I love number one but am in the same boat with you regarding bangs. I have a long narrow face. My hair is only shoulder length – it’s fine, so I’m either thinking of going short, stacked bob or cut bangs. Decisions. Bottom line is you’ll look gorgeous either way :-)

Mina

• natalie

November 11, 2014 at 8:22 am

She bangs! She bangs! Do it!! I just chopped mine last week and then added more in yesterday for a rounder, fuller look. I have a face and style that just begs for bangs, but it took me a few years of recovering from postpartem hairless to have enough hair along my hairline to do it. Feels so good to be back!

• Annika

November 11, 2014 at 8:35 am

#1. Bangs require upkeep, which means a bigger rush to find an Oklahoma stylist. Also I just super love #1.

• ChrisB

November 11, 2014 at 8:40 am

go for the low maintenance option!

• Kaye L

November 11, 2014 at 8:44 am

Low maintenance for sure! (although I do love the bangs) sorry….I’m no help at all! Can’t wait to see the finished cut!

• Sarah

November 11, 2014 at 8:44 am

As a lady of the same age (I’m 43), similar resting bitch face concerns, I will point out a few things. Bangs hide the forehead (good), but depending on the length the eyes. So, going without eye makeup was no longer an option for me; I felt like they accentuated my crow’s feet and generally 43-ishness of my eye area (which is in pretty great shape, I think, but still. I’m 43, not 23.)

Also, with a solid yoga practice, you’ll need a solid bang-managment strategy. Clips, barrettes, headbands…something for those days when they’re too long. Nothing interrupts ujjayi breathing like an errant, stray bang tickling your eyeballs.

With either cut your hair grows out so quickly, so who cares what you get? Go for the bangs. Life’s too short to go without.

• Jennifer

November 11, 2014 at 8:50 am

I have the forehead problem too. I think bangs. The only thing to consider is your exercise program with the bangs. Makes it a little harder.

I did a video about what my hair has grown into. Apparently I have a “wob”. Don’t get a wob.

Xo jen

• Anne

November 11, 2014 at 9:00 am

Bangs. Of course. Though they sometimes get funky under a hat in the winter.

• Ginger

November 11, 2014 at 9:38 am

Wait for Spring to get bangs. In OKC you’ll need a hat in the winter and it will flatten your bangs.

• heather

November 11, 2014 at 10:03 am

BANGS! Go for it! I was thinking about your bangs last night, as creepy as that sounds, when I cut a few pieces of mine. I miss my bangs and the way they add instant chic to any hairstyle. I have the narrow head too and bangs just break it up. Really liked your hair better with bangs, and mine too!

• sara sc

November 11, 2014 at 10:07 am

You’ve changed everything about your lifestyle, outlook and even your location. Everything has changed but your look. A messy, free, banged ‘do seems to reflect more of you are these days.

• Joy

November 11, 2014 at 10:40 am

I vote for messy bangs and the shoulder-length bob. You would look gorgeous! I feel like you have just the kind of hair for this kind of cut. No matter what you get, you’ll look great though.

• Lauren

November 11, 2014 at 10:56 am

The beauty is that you can pull both styles off perfectly, but I’m going to choose #1, simply because I have personally suffered through bangs myself and I know the struggle is real after the initial enthusiasm. Either way, though, you’ll look lovely!

• Christina G

November 11, 2014 at 11:14 am

I say do both, short and bangs. But if you’re going for one option bangs. Either way I’m sure you will look amazing!

• gabrielle

November 11, 2014 at 11:26 am

Both! You rock bangs somethin’ fierce and the long bob is super flattering as well. Perfect combo.

• Rafaella

November 11, 2014 at 11:30 am

I vote for the bangs and keep your highlights.

• Pamela

November 11, 2014 at 11:45 am

Sarah, I have walked with you a long time. Although I LOVE every single picture and know you can rock each, I need to remind you that you didn’t like your hair when it was collar bone length. You even wrote about it.
    I think you should do the bang though. And then ask them to teach you how to cut them yourself. Then teach us. ;) Plus, making D happy is a good thing. Christmas is coming, you know.

• Raluca | WhatWouldGwynethDo

November 11, 2014 at 11:47 am

Bangs! I just went back to mine and I am loving it. Perfect for fall/winter and yes, apparently super on-trend all of a sudden ;)

• Tracy D

November 11, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Both! Bangs and bob – why not!

• Lori

November 11, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I vote for messy bangs and the shoulder-length bob.

• Shannon

November 11, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I vote you go for the full Alexa Chung! Something to think about with the subtle/ombre highlights situation and bangs: I, like you, have super dark hair naturally. I had bangs cut with a similar highlights situation, and suddenly all these lovely high-lit parts that previously framed my face when longer had now become fully dark bangs right in my face. It still worked, but it definitely affected the look of the highlights…just something to think about!

• jen

November 11, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Um… duh. Both! :) :)

• Amy

November 11, 2014 at 7:36 pm

First messy cut w second messy bangs. They aren’t perfect therefore you can twist and cut up into them yourself for a trim! Plus even though a pain, it will grow.

• Ali

November 11, 2014 at 7:49 pm

PIXIE!!!! (I haven’t forgot that obsession of yours!) perfect for yoga and you can wear cool hats all winter! Problem solved!

• Giselle

November 11, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I say both! The shorter cut and the bangs would both be very flattering on you. Any of them would look great, though. :)

Can’t wait to see!

• Heather

November 11, 2014 at 11:26 pm

No bangs. No bangs. The trimming! The struggle! Don’t do it!

I like the lob look for you. Specifically the blonde, because she doesn’t have bangs. No bangs! No bangs!

• LiteralQuirk

November 12, 2014 at 12:02 am

FYI, this comment is brought to you by the letter, WINE.

Am I late? I’m probably too late. Shoot. Well, on the off-chance that I’m not, I vote BANGS. First off, you’re gorgeous and could easily pull off a perm (for real, you’re that pretty) (but please don’t get a perm). More importantly, I’m pretty big on whims. Whims make you go on crazy-sounding dates that end up as amazing stories. I think you should GO THERE! Think of it this way – you know it’s REALLY REALLY worked for you in the past and also? If you don’t care for them as they grow out? Yogi’s look amazing in headbands. Bangs will work, no matter what. The growing-out stage can be kinda sexy, too – though, this can be made or broken based on the number of bobby-pins used. Two? Cute. Four? Stop; just stop it.

Reeeegardless: You’ll look just fantastic.
    (But don’t get a perm) xoxo

• katie

November 12, 2014 at 7:48 am

Hold off on the bangs… 43 isn’t any better than 40!!

• Gigi

November 12, 2014 at 9:02 am

Definitely do BOTH!!

• Danielle

November 12, 2014 at 10:41 am

Go with numero uno. If the bangs urge is still there after it grows out, get bangs then. You’ll might get bangs now and be all, “I’ve been here before”, but a fresh new cut might be more fun.

• Heather D.

November 12, 2014 at 12:28 pm

My motto is – life is too short! DO THE BANGS…keep the length. Can’t wait to see what you do!

• Caroline Cohenour

November 12, 2014 at 10:18 pm

BANGS!!!!

• The Bangs are Back | whoorl

November 19, 2014 at 2:10 pm

[…] readers, what would I do without you? I listened to the majority and went for the bangs. I think it was a fun choice, and I’m so much happier with the length. Also, my husband is […]