Mastitis Sucks

I’m burning up- temperature’s rising and my face is the color of a tomato. I just started antibiotics and my doctor says it will be 24-48 hours until I feel better.

Of course, I’ve convinced myself that it’s not mastitis, but a rare strain of Avian Flu I contracted when I wiped hot, fresh bird shit off of Wito’s stroller this weekend.

You gotta love hypochondria.

• Jessie

September 27, 2006 at 4:56 pm

That sounds painful, whatever it is. Hope you feel better soon!

• LVGurl

September 27, 2006 at 5:30 pm

Man, breastfeeding can be a tough gig. Something the books just don’t fess up to.

Hang in there! My friend developed mastitis with baby #2, and she somehow managed to breastfeed her way through it. Tough as nails, I tell you…

• gorillabuns

September 27, 2006 at 6:13 pm

unfortunately, i sucked or i guess my kids didn’t suck at/while breastfeeding. the longest i ever lasted was 4 months and it was supplementation all the way baby.

so sorry you are in pain and basically, what i’m saying is, i didn’t have this problem but have heard it SUCKS!

• Kate

September 27, 2006 at 7:40 pm

well, i have zero experience with breastfeeding or the problems associated with, but i do hope you feel better soon :)

• Lyndsay

September 27, 2006 at 8:10 pm

Get to feeling better. Can you breastfeed through it? Bless your heart.

• airpixie

September 27, 2006 at 8:18 pm

i had mastitis a few months ago and i can honestly say it was the worst pain i have ever felt in my entire life! it felt like someone was stabbing me with a burning, hot spear. i would rather give birth over and over again than go through that pain. i thought i had thrush for the first several weeks- i even took super-strong antifungals for it. then the pain became so severe that i sobbed uncontrollably every time i tried to nurse. i finally developed a high fever and my entire boob turned bright red. no, it wasn’t a red line- it was one big, red, burning hot, throbbing boob. the antibiotics worked and i am still breastfeeding 5 months later without problem. try to get as much rest as possible. my husband had to stay home for 3 days while i recuperated (i have a 2 year old). it was seriously the worst thing i’ve ever dealt with. hang in there. it will be gone soon. i didn’t get relief from the antibiotics until the 3rd day. i only had it on one side, so i mainly fed on the other side (but kept pumping the bad one) until the pain was nearly gone. regardless, keep nursing, even though it hurts like hell. pumping wasn’t as painful, but it did affect my milk supply. if you need to email me, feel free. i know your pain.

September 27, 2006 at 8:47 pm

Yowzaz! Your poor boobs. Anders is a lucky boy to have a mom who is so devoted to nursing him. Get well soon.

• katie

September 27, 2006 at 9:47 pm

Ouch! I came across your site through My Topography. I have had mastitis numerous times and it is awful. This site was reccomended to me and the lecithin actually helped to clear it up more quickly.
    Good luck!

• R*belle

September 27, 2006 at 6:51 pm

Sorry to hear that! Hang in there!

• Heather

September 28, 2006 at 7:03 am

That’s better than wiping nice hot bird shit off the baby. Feel Better!

• ms. sizzle

September 28, 2006 at 7:31 am

oh no! i hope you feel better fast.

• Jora

September 28, 2006 at 8:14 am

I just found your site and I can’t stop reading it… Hang in there with the mastitis. I just had it a couple of months ago (I have a 13 month old), and the antibiotics do work really well. The most important thing: keep nursing and nursing and nursing. My doctor explained to me that keeping the milk flowing through is what will really help your body get rid of the infection. Good luck! You will feel better!

• rebecca

September 28, 2006 at 8:33 am

Oh no, Whoorl! So sorry. That sucks – I hope you feel better soon. You poor thing. :(

• Xangelle

September 28, 2006 at 9:32 am

Hope you’re feeling better soon. Mastitis sucks!

• Cocodrie

September 28, 2006 at 11:16 am

Poor Anders: first the NICU, now the bird flu! Sending all sorts of love to your poor tatas.

• Filtering Life

September 28, 2006 at 5:05 am

Oh no…..STOP sharing the insanity or you will have my baby next month for me. Mastitis is like the herpes of post partum. Ugh, it sounds so awful. I don’t want my boobs to literly be heat seeking missles. I really do hope you feel better that is so awful. Every child you have after this point will be a cake walk. You are just knocking out all the mysteries of motherhood at once. You little trooper!

• Darren McLikeshimself

September 28, 2006 at 7:22 am

Gah! Whoorl! Get better!

• am'ti b

September 28, 2006 at 6:22 pm

noooooo-not the beloved titties.

• Kaili

September 28, 2006 at 10:31 pm

I had mastitis early on with Jaia, and any time I get a plugged duct, it feels like the start of it. I never did the antibiotics. I nursed him lots and lots, drank lots of fluids, took baths to massage my boobs (lovely), slept and it went away, oh yeah and an advil. Keep it up nursing Mama!

• kris

September 29, 2006 at 8:18 am

Oh God, this is just what you needed to keep up your energy as a new mom. Thanks Jebus.

• lei

September 29, 2006 at 9:19 am

hope you’re feeling better!

• Rachel

September 29, 2006 at 3:30 pm

Aw, poor Whoorl! Jillian and I are sending you and your boobies love from New Jersey!

• Sarah

September 30, 2006 at 2:40 pm

I got mastitis with my 2nd when I was trying to wean him at 9 months…makes sense…you don’t nurse enough, you can easily get clogged. Not fun. High fevers, red boobs. It was so bad I couldn’t hold the child, let alone nurse him. Basically I made everyone leave me alone and weaned cold turkey and it was all a big nasty mess…imagine engorgement plus red hot fire. If you are still going to nurse…make sure to keep pumping and/or nursing as much as possible. Nursing is not for wimps.