1. Above are two favorite pins from last week. One made me nod and one made me laugh, but truer words were never spoken. (Although, I just finished writing a post for Women & Co in an attempt to disprove #2. We’ll see.)
2. Things are really looking good at the house. I have a feeling Friday’s update will be a great one!
3. You guys. The tea recommendations are awesome. I’m going to sit down and make a list of all the potential greatness. Rooibos teas? Total game changer.
4. Speaking of tea, have you all heard of the company Honest Tea? D drinks some of their organic bottled teas, but I’m really excited about the line of juice pouches that they just reformulated for kids. We aren’t much of juice drinking family – it’s pretty much just water and milk for the kids over here, but I have been in some situations lately (namely soccer games) when it was my responsibility to bring snacks for the group, and you all, I just can’t be the mom who brings mini water bottles to the kids after they’ve been chugging water throughout the entire game. I remember that mom growing up – the one with carrot sticks – that mom soooo sucked.
If the kids are looking for fun snacks and juice post-game, that’s what they are going to get. This season, I’ve been doing individual packs of Trader Joe’s Kettle Corn (the kettle corn only contains four ingredients – popcorn, sunflower oil, sugar, and salt), and the Honest Tea team sent some juice pouches to try out. They were a total hit with all parties involved. The juices are organic, contain no GMOs or HFCS, and the company just eliminated the organic cane sugar and replaced it with additional fruit juice, dropping the sugar amount to 9 grams. Plus, they taste good – not cloyingly sweet. Thank you, Honest Tea. You just made my life so much easier. You can check out all the flavors here. (I kind of want to mix vodka with the Tropical Tango Punch for a weekend cocktail. Is that weird?)
5. The Fitocracy group! Such a great group of girls. It’s the perfect place for us to keep track of our workouts, share tips and video links to great exercises, and most importantly, support each other. I just finished Week 7 of Run10K, and man, it wasn’t the most fun I’ve ever experienced. Running on a treadmill for over an hour is brutal, but I know my group has got my back. If you are serious about exercising, please join us. However, I do have one requirement for the group. If you’ve spent any time on exercise websites like Fitocracy, you probably know there are some sketchy half-naked peeps around. I will only approve you to join our private group if you have added your profile photo and put a sentence or two about yourself in the “About Me” section. It’s only fair that we know a little about you! If you are in, please join here, follow me (username is whoorl), and I’ll add you to the group. Also, if you have previously joined and haven’t received an invite to the group, please leave your username in the comments. (Also, like I mentioned, be sure that your information is filled out so I can add you.)
6. Sticking with the running topic, we got into a little discussion about Garmin watches at the Facebook page. Do you use a Garmin? They seem so great, but I plan to use the Runkeeper App on my iPhone instead, mainly because I will need my iPhone to listen to my Spotify playlist while running outdoors. So! I need advice on ways to run with my iPhone. I’m not a fan of armbands, but recently heard about the Spibelt? Has anyone used this? Pros? Cons? Does it bounce? Any other recommendations for running with an iPhone?
7. One more fitness thought, and I promise I’m done. I know some of you subscribe to the “Lululemon is over-priced and over-hyped” way of thinking, but I have got to tell you, there is just no comparison for me in regards to durability and style. No comparison, and trust me, I have tried everything under the sun, just wishing and hoping that something less expensive would be as cute and most importantly, as functional and durable because I didn’t want to be that girl. The Lululemon addict girl. Well, I am here to tell you that after years of wearing the heck out of my stuff, my Lululemon items are still kicking and still adorable, and I LOVE THEM, AMERICA. Do you hear me? I am addicted to Lululemon and I will proudly yell from the rooftops! I LOVE YOU, LULULEMON.
I am also prepared to show you why no short in the world is as fantastic as their Turbo Run short. (Not that weird pattern, though. I prefer the all black ones, although did any of you see the pretty plum color that sold out in less than a week? I really wanted that color.) In fact, I might just have to post a photo comparison of three different brands. Which would mean I would actually have to photograph myself in running shorts on this here blog. THAT is scary, but I’ll dig in and do it for the team. (Also, I have no affiliation to Lululemon. Just a deep obsession.)
8. Speaking of obsessions, you all know I’m obsessed with beards, right? People think I love November because it’s my birthday and Thanksgiving, but no, it’s due to a little thing called Movember. Men donning facial hair all month long for a great cause. I can hardly wait. In the meantime, I’ve got a beard porn Pinterest board going on, and it’s pretty much the best thing ever.
9. If you haven’t noticed the 13,450,000 pins on Pinterest the last few weeks, it’s pumpkin season. Remember these pumpkin brownies from the days of yore? I’m totally making them this week, but let me just say, if you want a quicker pumpkin treat, the Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Bread and Muffin Mix is so damn good. I bought it on a whim last week, and we made the muffins this weekend. SO DAMN GOOD.
10. If you made it this far, you truly deserve a medal. I commend you, lovely person. But wait, one more thing! The winner of the Freshly Picked moccasin giveaway is #516, Rachel S. Congratulations, Rachel! Okay, I’m done. Run! Before I think of something else!
MinaOctober 29, 2012 at 7:01 am
I hate my Spibelt! I had such high hopes, and hate saying that I hate it, but I do. I wore it yesterday because I wanted my daughter to be able to reach me which means I needed my iPhone. The Spibelt bounces. Yesterday was the second time I’ve worn it since I bought it last spring :-( I usually run with an ipod shuffle – which is awesome for running. But I’m looking forward to hearing other iPhone options, I’m not into arm bands either – especially with winter on it’s way.
whoorlOctober 29, 2012 at 9:14 am
Ugggghhhhhh. Bummer to hear that – there’s got to be something great out there!
AmyOctober 29, 2012 at 8:10 am
I have an Amphipod belt thing that doesn’t have water or anything attached — it’s really compact and can be worn in the front or back for easy iPhone access. I love it!
whoorlOctober 29, 2012 at 9:15 am
Checking it out right now. Thank you!
KristabellaOctober 29, 2012 at 8:51 am
I love my SPIbelt. It doesn’t bounce for me. I wear it low on my hips, so it is tight. It has settings to make it tighter so that it doesn’t bounce.
I also have a water bottle with a pocket that fits the iPhone. That is nice, but I really hate carrying things. But it is helpful in the summer when I need water.
whoorlOctober 29, 2012 at 9:17 am
What kind of pants do you usually wear? Compression? Shorts?
KristabellaOctober 29, 2012 at 9:20 am
Shorts or capris. And compression, since I don’ like jiggling. But I also have huge hips, and run slow, so maybe that’s why I like it.
WendyOctober 29, 2012 at 9:54 pm
I love the Spibelt too. You just have to wear it low on the hips and not stuff it with much more than your phone and it’s great.
JennyOctober 29, 2012 at 9:12 am
I don’t usually think about beards at all. My husband’s job requires he be clean shaven (for safety reasons), so facial hair is kind of a non-issue. But now I have seen the Beard Porn board.
My husband may have to get a different job.
whoorlOctober 29, 2012 at 9:19 am
Hahaa, this made me laugh. Do you want to hear the worst thing ever? My husband can’t grow a beard – literally, no hair grows on the sides of his face. I should have figured this out before I married him. ;)
MiaOctober 29, 2012 at 11:25 am
I saw those beard pins on Pinterest last week and, though I thoroughly enjoyed them, wondered what was going… And my husband has the same issue; can not grow a beard due to no hair growing in the side of his face!
janetOctober 29, 2012 at 9:26 am
i’ve used a garmin for the last couple of years for running. love it. can’t complain. aside from that, don’t carry anything else. not even an ipod!
MikalOctober 29, 2012 at 9:33 am
I love my garmin. I have a 910XT that I use for indoor running (with a footpod), outdoor running (gps) biking and swimming (counts laps). I also use the heart rate monitor for training and I absolutely can’t do without it for pacing during races now. You wouldn’t need all the stuff the 910XT does as just a runner, and I can totally see just wanting to use your iphone since you already have one, but man I love my garmin.
AngellaOctober 29, 2012 at 9:47 am
Alright, I signed up with Fitocracy. And I use an armband, and don’t even notice it. :)
Jessica J.October 29, 2012 at 9:48 am
I love my Garmin. I enjoy how much more analytical the data is compared to RunKeeper. I run with a Garmin watch and my iPhone (either in my armband or the back pocket on my running capris).
My best friend has a Flip Belt and she loves it! I’ve been debating ordering one for myself.
whoorlOctober 29, 2012 at 4:15 pm
That Flip Belt looks AWESOME.
GardenpeasanddragonsOctober 29, 2012 at 9:52 am
I really love the Zella brand from Nordstroms. It’s designed by someone who worked for Lulu and is REALLY similar in terms of flat seams, cut, etc. It’s also about $20-$30 cheaper/item. I have some capri leggings that are holding up well.
The SpiBand looks awful. I wish their wristband was bigger b/c I could go for that. Right now, I just hold my iphone in my left hand. It forms a natural little claw. Weirdly, I can’t really hold it comfortably on the right.
janineOctober 29, 2012 at 11:14 am
I have been making those pumpkin brownies every year since you first posted them! absolute favorite fall sweet. thanks :)
JenOctober 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm
First, I’m a total sucker for a full beard. Add in a little gray and swoon.
Second, am now more of a yogi than anything, but my 2 hour Tuesday practices aren’t for the faint of heart. My go-tos are Lulu and Hard tail–Hard tail has a mixture of cozy, cottony goodness, and wicking workout gear that are pretty and practical.
JessicaOctober 29, 2012 at 3:51 pm
Oh man, I was just at Trader Joe’s and I thought about buying that Muffin mix but I didn’t! And the saddest part is that I live in Colorado and only got to go to TJ’s because I was in Ohio and there is one on the way to the airport! I will console myself with some black Mango Tea and caramels!
AshleyOctober 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm
I also hate my spibelt. Loved it at first – it didn’t move like I was sure it would. About six months into using it, it started moving and NOW MOVES ALL THE TIME. Hate it.
I’ve heard great things about the Flip Belt. Have been meaning to get one, but haven’t yet.
CourtneyOctober 29, 2012 at 4:08 pm
I looooooove Honest Tea. They’re actually headquartered right near here (my friend temped there and said their office was amazing!). I could drink their Moroccan Mint constantly–it’s really low in caffeine, so I don’t know if it would jibe with your no-caffeine rule but it’s so good. I also love that they’re organic, eco-conscious, and local (well, to us anyway). When they start making Moroccan Mint in the 64oz containers again my life will be complete.
I have no comments on the fitness stuff because I hate running but I did take your recommendation on running shorts a few years ago (for the elliptical) and they are great.
ElsaOctober 29, 2012 at 4:25 pm
So many things – so I had to comment, possibly for the first time?
I was totally fired up for the Fitocracy group, but when I tried to enter my first run I guess I wasn’t putting in the time right because I got a message saying something about being outside parameters. I tried a few times more, then stopped, then felt embarrassed and was scared to log on again. But I HAVE been running, I promise. I use a shuffle, and it sends the info to Nike+ when I sync it on my computer. Works pretty nicely.
My husband has this lovely auburn golden beard, but it will not connect on the sides. Big bald patches. So no beard. And he has SUCH beard envy. He views it as this symbol of manhood, I mean, in a joking way. It’s sort of intensely adorable.
Oh and also I had actually somehow never heard of lululemon. And now I see it. And it’s all so beautiful. And I’m going to try to pretend I never saw it, but it’s probably not going to work.