image: Sally King Benedict
1. I faked a whole bunch of people out on Instagram this week. Heh.
2. I’ve always been a fairly healthy eater, but this past year I had to adopt a much stricter diet. It’s not as strict as Paleo, but not as lenient as just Gluten Free alone. Let’s call it Glaleo. Did I mention no alcohol? Pretty much very minimal sugar and dairy too. (Thank the heavens for Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips.) The best part? I started this diet the day before Thanksgiving, and was forced to stare at a plate of turkey and lettuce while everyone else chowed down. It was so depressing.
But! Never fear! My outlook improved shortly after that, and I actually love the way I eat now. However, for those of you who make similar eating choices, you know how easily you can fall down the rabbit hole of “clean eating.” That’s why this article called The Tragedy of the Healthy Eater is the funniest thing I’ve ever read. Oh, how I’ve been there a few times.
3. Speaking of clean eating, this family cut out all sugar for an entire year. I bet you can guess what happened. (It’s true! And once you stop eating sugar, you don’t crave it all. Except maybe 2-3 days before your period, when you might find me crying on the couch with a spoonful of peanut butter sprinkled with the above-mentioned chocolate chips.)
4. My friend Amber wrote a gorgeous post for all of us. You should definitely read – what a great way to go into the weekend.
Starting right now and every Friday forward, I am going to list 5 things that happened to me during the week that I’m grateful for. (I spent a long time trying to fix that preposition fail, but I’m moving on and never looking back.)
Without further ado, my Friday Five.
1. Wita is quite the little performer, as many of you have witnessed on Instagram. She just sings and dances with such conviction, you all. Surprise surprise, her favorite song is “Story of My Life” by One Direction, and when she belts it out in the car, her sweet little voice just melts my heart. I love it so much.
2. These gloves. One of the medication side effects I’m dealing with right now is extreme sun sensitivity, which I thought meant to stay out of the sun as much as possible. However, it actually means if my skin is in any sort of sunlight for more than 2 minutes, I’m blistered toast. And once you burn, you burn. My poor hands just won’t seem to heal. As you can imagine, driving my children around all day in the Southern California sun has made things very difficult for me. Even my darkly-tinted windows don’t help at all. To make a long story short, it started to seem like my sole purpose in life was to chase the shadows on my steering wheel. Thank goodness for Sundriven – the gloves are lightweight, completely protective, and pretty dang cute. I wear them day in and day out, and although I have the gray ones, I think the coral shade is calling my name too. Thank you, Sundriven!
3. A new yoga therapy class at my studio. I’m telling you, locals – if you have injuries or limitations or are just looking for a gentle yoga class, you should join me. I’m so glad Ekam Yoga added it to their roster, and I hope they keep it around! How many of you are on the restorative yoga bandwagon? So so good.
4. I’ve become obsessed with hummingbirds lately, and the cutest little bugger has been whizzing around my backyard this week. I think he knows he makes me happy. And I think I shall name him Ralph.
5. Last but certainly not least, all the love and support you all sent me throughout the week. I can’t thank you enough.
Feel free to leave your own snippet of gratitude from the week. There’s just something about putting it into words that works. Happy weekend!