How To Pack Stylishly For 7 Days in a Carry-On

one-week-pack-carryon

2017 is shaping up to be a year of travel for me. Although I really didn’t plan for it to be, it’s March and I’ve already visited London, Paris, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Kansas City, and Dallas this year. Not to mention the 5 trips planned for the next few months.

Needless to say? It was time to get my packing skills refined to an artform. I’ll never forget driving to the Palm Springs airport with Kristen and Luvvie while they gently mocked me for my large piece of luggage crammed to the max for, ahem, a 4-day trip. (What can I say? This is how my brain works while packing. Maybe yours does too?)

However, I spent quite some time devoted to capsule wardrobes. How could there be such a discrepancy between my day-to-day and my packing practices? I decided I would challenge myself to pack in one carry-on for my recent 7-day trip to London and Paris, and you guys, it was so great. I don’t think I’ll ever check a bag again.

Here’s the thing about packing for London and Paris in the early Spring. You’re essentially going to be outside with a coat on the entire time. So I focused less on my under layers, and more on my outerwear and accessories. This really made packing so much easier. Also, I had access to laundry mid-week, which made it easier to cut down on my tees, pajamas, panties, etc.

First things first. My carry-on itself. I use the Bigger Carry-On by Away Travel. Oh my goodness, I can’t say enough about this suitcase. It has a hard case, a charging port for my devices, looks so stylish, and most importantly fits SO MUCH stuff in it. For real, you guys. Take a look.

This particular size fits all the sizers of major US airlines – I had no problem fitting it in the overhead bins of Delta, Virgin Airlines, and Air France during my trip. However, if you travel budget airlines in other countries or smaller jets, this particular size will probably not work, and you should consider the regular carry-on size from Away. I very rarely fly in those situations, so the bigger size works for me.

As for my packing breakdown, here you go.

week-in-carry-on

Trench Coat – I bought this trench coat from APC a few years back and it’s served me so well. Stylish and functional, it makes any look pulled together in an instant.

Puffer Coat – The trench coat just couldn’t hack it during the cooler mornings and evenings, so a heavier coat was a must. I wore this on the plane, so it was not packed in my carry-on.

Scarves – In my opinion, the most important items during the trip. I brought three with me – red wool,  lightweight multicolor, and a black and white option. (My black and white scarf is by Ace & Jig, but no longer available.) Always had a scarf on during the trip.

Striped Sweater – This was the heaviest of my sweaters, and I wore it on the plane because it’s super cozy.

Pink Cotton Sweater – Comfortable layering piece.

Grey Sweater – Another lightweight one so I wouldn’t get overheated during the day.

Black Turtleneck – Love a simple black turtleneck because you can layer it or dress it up on its own.

Striped Turtleneck – I didn’t end up wearing this on the trip.

Black Silk Top – A versatile option for an evening out.

Navy Striped Top – Can’t have too many stripes, right?

Chambray Tunic – Chambray goes with everything.

Black Jeans – Citizens of Humanity is my go-to brand for jeans. Both pairs I brought are the Agnes mid-rise style. Absolutely love the way these fit.

Faded Denim Jeans – See above.

Cotton Twill Joggers – Super comfortable for the long plane trip.

White Tees – Obvious.

Pajamas – I prefer to sleep in lightweight tanks and pants.

Undergarments – Black bras and thongs and low-rise bikinis – I only brought 4 or 5 because I had access to laundry mid-trip.

Socks – Obvious.

Black Booties – Okay, these particular boots were fabulous on the trip. Very stylish and so comfortable. Didn’t get one blister and walked for miles every day.

Black Oxfords – (Might be sold out in the black.) I brought these Oxfords with me, but only wore them once. I probably could have left them at home and only worn the booties and sneakers.

White Sneakers – Loving the white sneaker trend, and I wore these a lot during the trip on the travel days.

Belts

Silk Bandana – I brought a little silk neckerchief, but didn’t end up wearing it.

Toiletries – I pack all my toiletries in this pouch. I’ve had it for years.

Flat Iron – I can use a flat iron to curl and straighten my hair, so it eradicates the need to bring both a flat iron and a curling iron.

Makeup – My favorite makeup bag is the smaller one of this duo.

Small Crossbody Bag – On travel days, I carry this larger bag as my airplane tote, but don’t use it during my stay. I prefer to carry a smaller crossbody during my trip, so I pack one in my carry-on.

There you have it! As always, feel free to leave any questions/comments. Bon voyage!

• […] post How To Pack Stylishly For 7 Days in a Carry-On appeared first on […]

• […] post How To Pack Stylishly For 7 Days in a Carry-On appeared first on […]

• Renee

March 27, 2017 at 3:44 pm Reply

Such a helpful post, Sarah! Do you mind me asking what size of the Aritzia joggers you have? Thanks :)

March 27, 2017 at 5:04 pm Reply

They are a size 4. (I usually wear a 2-4 or 26 in pants/jeans.)

• tanya

March 27, 2017 at 4:02 pm Reply

Yikes, that means no shopping allowed! Why?!

• Betsy

March 27, 2017 at 4:54 pm Reply

I have the Citizens Racer jeans and I have had to fix them so many times because the deconstructed look is deconstructing more. Do you know how the Agnes compares? Also, kind of a personal question, but curious, do you have multiple colors in the bras and panties or just black I was wondering what color works with white t-shirts since I always wear white or gray t-shirts and I am looking for new bras?
    Thank you!

March 27, 2017 at 5:08 pm Reply

I have several pairs of the Agnes in different washes. The one that has the ripped hole in the knee has gotten bigger, though, so I feel your pain.

Yes, I have a nude bra for my white tees. (Although this trip the white tees were the under layer, so the black bra was fine.)

• Robyn

March 27, 2017 at 5:59 pm Reply

Didn’t you have to take out all your toiletries when going through security? Toiletries are the big reason I check baggage. I have so many issues paring down…..and sometimes it’s hard to get things into smaller bottles. Yours looked so neat and compact!

March 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm Reply

Never have had to take out my toiletries ever. I just leave them in that clear tote inside my carry-on.

• Lonek8

March 28, 2017 at 11:53 am Reply

Ditto on Robyn’s comment above- I’d love a follow up post about how you pared down the toiletries and makeup so they fit into the required 1 qt carry on size. Great post!!

• Jen

March 28, 2017 at 9:49 pm Reply

What size do you own in the pink Madewell sweater? I’m debating … Thanks!

April 2, 2017 at 8:11 am Reply

Size XS.

• Jen

April 2, 2017 at 9:31 am Reply

Thanks! And great post. There’s something so soothing about watching the video. :)

• Lori Gosselin

March 29, 2017 at 4:23 pm Reply

I order the pouch fr toiletries in the large and it seems HUGE…I am guessing that is the small in the pic? the small seemed too small on the website!

March 29, 2017 at 4:26 pm Reply

I use the large pouch. Yes, it’s larger than a quart size, but many of the items in there are not liquids. I’ve never had to remove my toiletries from my bag.

• Jill

March 29, 2017 at 9:09 pm Reply

This is fantastic, thank you. My problem is that my husband is the over-packer. He’ll only re-wear pants on trips, so if no access to laundry he packs fresh clothes for every day! We’re taking a two-week trip soon and I fear he’ll need a steamer trunk. Any suggestions?

• Katie

April 1, 2017 at 8:45 am Reply

Are those Drunk Elephant bottles I see in your toiletries bag? :) Recently started using that line and it has made SUCH a difference for my skin.

Thank you for this post, btw. I am a recovering over-packer and find it very helpful to see what other people pack.

April 2, 2017 at 8:12 am Reply

Yep! A definite favorite of mine.

• Kristen

April 22, 2017 at 3:05 pm Reply

This is amazing. I’m planning a London/Venice trip for fall and you’re giving me hope. My problem, I suspect, will be that I also need to fit some running/hiking clothes in there, but I think I can get away with a LOT of re-wearing of items. I’ll be staying with a friend so I think laundry will be accessible — BIG help there. Wish me luck!