Hair Oil Treatments

I’ve been spending the past few months experimenting with hair oils, specifically Moroccan Oil and Macadamia Oil. Here’s a video on my thoughts, if you’re curious.

I did forget to mention one thing on the video, though. Although these treatments are pure oil, I haven’t had any issues with greasiness. Apparently, oils such as Macadamia and Argan are absorbed quickly into the hair and scalp leaving no residue. (However, I choose not to apply the oils close to my scalp.)

If you have any questions regarding these two products, just leave a comment and I’ll try to get back to you ASAP.

• Rachel

January 27, 2010 at 8:21 am

I have very long curly hair and, at the recommendation of a friend, have started using a hair oil treatment three times a week at least an hour before I shampoo. I picked up an inexpensive Indian product called Dabur Jasmine Hair oil (about $5) and the results have been amazing. My hair is softer and stronger, but I have also been massaging it into my scalp (after washing it out my hair is not oily) and the roots of my hair have been coming in stronger, shinier, and thicker than I could have imagined. Also this stuff smells amazing and the fragrance lasts until the next shampoo. I would recommend that anyone try to find one of the inexpensive Indian brands – they are incredible and probably work just as well, if not better, than the salon brands. The one I have been using is a blend of cotton seed and sesame oil but I have also seen amla, coconut, and argan oils. Can’t wait to try them all! (I got mine at Kalustyan’s in NYC)

• Rachel

January 27, 2010 at 8:25 am

Turns out you can order hair oil from Kalustyans online – http://kalustyans.com/catalog.asp?menucategory_id=172&category_id=124.

• Beth B.

January 27, 2010 at 9:29 am

Ok so I want to try this; I have dry color-treated hair that I think would really benefit. How would you apply this with other hair products? For example, I use mousse before blow-drying; would I put the oil in first (into damp hair), then the mousse? Thanks for the video; can’t wait to try it!!

• Sarah

January 27, 2010 at 9:40 am

Hi Beth! Sounds perfect for your hair type. Yes, I would apply the oil first and then the mousse. Let me know how it works out. :)

• ToKissThe Cook

January 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

I know we’ve covered this but I must reiterate…Moroccan Oil is in “Favorite Smell” territory. Frankincense and Myrrh. If I could find perfume using the same scent, I would happily double up. Also- curly, color-treated hair so maybe I need to start using it more regularly as a treatment (been using as a styling helper). Twist my arm.

• Lyndsay

January 27, 2010 at 10:41 am

I tried the Moroccan and when I finished the bottle, I just couldn’t justify buying another one. I like Kerastase Oleo-Relax Serum better. I know it’s synthetic & these oils are natural, but I didn’t get the same shine & flyaway control with the oil that I get with silicone-based serums.
    I don’t even know if they’re truly comparable since the oils are technically a treatment?

• Jenibee

January 27, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Thanks so much for reviewing both products! I have been Moroccan Oil for a few months now and it’s become one of those products I don’t ever want to be without! (I even bought a small bottle to carry with me to Mexico recently, enabling me to leave my larger [glass – eek!] bottle at home.) You’re right – it smells gorgeously exotic! My hair is past my shoulders, wavy and color-treated, and Moroccan Oil has taken it from an oft-frazzled state to soft and shiny. I mean, it has seriously given me NEW hair! I’d like to try the Macadamia stuff too, but can’t imagine liking anything better than I do the Moroccan.

On an unrelated note – would you PLEASE tell us what that luscious shade is you’re wearing on your lips? It’s fab, and I must have whatever it is for myself!

• Rachel

January 27, 2010 at 12:51 pm

hahahaha This video is great–love it, Sarah.

I have the Moroccan oil and have to concur with the opinions of everyone else–it smells soooooooo good.

I have been mixing it with my straightening/blow-drying lotion, with very good results… which, I think, might be a good solution to Beth’s problem, a problem I recently encountered myself. I believe they have a styling lotion in their line, so maybe that would be just as amazing as the oil by itself? …maybe a combination of the two would be make your hair the softest, shiniest hair anyone has ever seen or touched. Who knows, right?

The only thing is it is sooooo expensive and I have only been able to find it online.

• Melissa

January 27, 2010 at 12:57 pm

FYI – I just clicked the links for more information on both of the mentioned products. If you want to try a sample of the Macadamia Oil they have an offer for a “sample pack” for only $5.00 right now.

• Sarah

January 27, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Hey Jenibee! I was wearing Chanel Spark Glossimer during the video. :)

• Jenibee

January 27, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Thanks so much, Sarah! :-)

• Darcey

January 27, 2010 at 2:30 pm

You already know my opinions on the MoroccanOil, which I love. I bought my bottle before November, and use it every time I wash my hair (2-3 times per week), as soon as it’s damp-dry. I LOVE the smell, and it has definitely cut down my drying time, and my poor color-treated, brunette-masquerading-as-a-blonde hair is definitely breaking a lot less than before.

I think I might try it out as a hot-oil treatment, with the whole old-school, wrapping my hair in plastic wrap and then a shower cap with my blow dryer set on low. Maybe that will be good as an intensive treatment!

• claire

January 27, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I have curly/wavy somewhat frizz-prone hair, so this sounds intriguing, but I don’t blowdry my hair. Would you still recommend it? Or would you suggest applying it before hair washing? Or not?

Also, is the scent of either at all floral? I’m allergic to most perfumes.

• Sarah

January 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Hi Claire,

You can definitely use the oil on your damp hair before air drying. In fact, I do it all the time. :)

The scents are definitely not floral – very musky. It seems to me that the Macadamia Oil is a much more complicated blend of scents, so I would stick with the Moroccan Oil.

• Jae

January 27, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Awesome! I’m glad to know that it’s ok (and that you do it, too, Sarah!) to put Moroccan Oil on damp hair and let it air dry.

Have you tried any of the other Moroccan Oil products? I picked up the shine spray and one of the masks yesterday but haven’t tried them yet.

• Shuchita

January 27, 2010 at 8:16 pm

applying oil to your hair/scalp, to me, is a very traditional/Indian ritual. Almost every Indian lady will have childhood memories of it. Most still apply coconut oil to their loooong plaits.

I remember getting awesome head massages from my mother when growing up – it was usually coconut oil but we’d occasionally try out other oils (almond, jasmine, olive, etc). Of course, it all stopped when I started college (eww, oil on hair ?!?) and to be honest, my hair hasn’t been that healthy/shiny since :-(

We even applied thick paste of gram flour + sandalwood + rose water + milk + turmeric on face/skin – love the soft glowy skin after you step out of the bath…

Maybe time to adopt all those family rituals again :-)

• kat

January 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm

okay first i LOVE that you are doing videos!

and now i’m SO intrigued by these oils! since i do blowdry my hair and apply a anti frizz, i’d love to try one of these for the natural oil instead of whatever chemical i’m putting on there.

will report back!

• Lisa

January 28, 2010 at 1:11 am

I bought the Moroccan Oil recently at Beauty Works in Seattle – just walked in and asked for something that would work as a heat protectant and this is what she recommended. So far, I LIKE it but it hasn’t made that much difference in my hair (at least not enough of a difference to justify the price!) aside from the fact that it definitely reduces drying time!! I do however feel like natural products work better in my hair overall (I use http://www.e-sen-cia.com/index.html for shampoo and condition and it has made a HUGE difference). Is there another heat protectant that you would recommend that would provide more “control” and still be mostly natural?

• Sarah

January 28, 2010 at 9:22 am

Thanks for the review. I’d thought about Morroccan oil, and even Macademia Oil…but after lots of reading, I ended up going with something super all-natural: coconut oil. The Body Shop *still* sells it. (I remember when they first started carrying it, in 1994. Gah, I’m old.)

I *did* buy some virgin coconut oil from Whole Foods, thinking I’d be all frugal and not fall prey to inflated beauty product prices, but later came to my senses. The mayonnaise-style jar in my bathroom was too crunchy-granola and practical for my taste. I need a cute tin, apparently, so I bought and use the Body Shop’s version.)

My hair is normal condition, except for the ends – they get very dry. A dab of coconut oil on my dry hair smooths them out. I guess that wouldn’t help with UV protection, though.

• miguelina

January 28, 2010 at 10:51 am

Curious…how do these oils compare to the Fekkai?

• Sarah

January 28, 2010 at 11:25 am

Jae – I haven’t tried any other Moroccan Oil products.

Lisa – Redken makes fantastic heat protectants with a little more control.

I also ADORE Kerastaste Nectar Thermique.

Miguelina – These oils are richer than FF, and utilize completely natural oils, whereas FF does not.

• Shannon

January 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I gave Moroccanoil’s hydrating styling cream a try a while back and HATED IT – it was strangely greasy and weighed my naturally curly hair down too much. However, your review has inspired me to give the treatment oil a chance – I’m a sucker for a conditioning/heat protectant step in styling.

• Christine

January 28, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Just last night, I was getting a manicure and the woman told me about Moroccan oil. I have curly, frizzy, coarse, very thick hair — blown out straight on this occasion. She put some on my hair and I could NOT believe it. The one half with the product when right down and it was SHINY. I looked in the mirror and could not believe the difference between the two sides. Of course I bought a bottle. LOVE Keratase Nectar Thermique too!!!

• Sarah Ann Orlando

January 29, 2010 at 6:35 am

I have thin, fine hair w/ wave/curl. I usually straighten my hair, and it definitely shows some breakage. Do these products leave your hair oily or heavy? Can someone with thin, fine hair benefit?

• Tavia

January 29, 2010 at 11:37 am

Great video and advice and I can’t wait to try it :)

• Mina

January 29, 2010 at 3:55 pm

hi sarah,

i have fine hair (but a good amount of it) that’s dry due to being colored regularly, and i got a perm a year ago just to see what it would be like to have curly hair. the perm is mostly grown out but my hair is so dry. i’ve used aquage’s silkening oil treatment on occasion and like the result but because my hair is so fine. i need a volumizing product. can i use both the oil and my paul mitchell mousse?

thanks!
    mina

• Lisa

January 29, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I use Jojoba oil. It’s cheap! $5.99 from Trader Joes. A quarter size amount right after towel drying. Works wonders for laying down my curls and controlling frizz. Oh yea, I have shoulder length, curly, color treated hair and only use the oil on the bottom half or so.

• Nila

February 1, 2010 at 1:59 am

More videos please. You’re fun to watch! I can’t believe I haven’t seen any of your videos before.

I’m going to have to get some Moroccan oil. I got Bumble and Bumble curling cream on your recommendation, and I love it. It’s so nice to have such a thorough honest review of a product. There’s nothing worse than spending 30 bucks on something that just ends up sitting on the shelf.

• Steph B

February 16, 2010 at 12:05 am

You mention that these are pure oils but I’m not sure what you mean as both of these have silicones topping the ingredient lists.

• Julia

February 16, 2010 at 12:27 am

What is hair treatment?

• 2010 Met Ball Looks :Hair Thursday

May 5, 2010 at 7:01 am

[…] (Tons of Moroccanoil products were used! To check out my thoughts on Moroccanoil, click to see my review video.) […]

• chi hair flat iron

June 9, 2010 at 12:04 am

It’s very nice! I love what you wrote.
    I think we can make friends.

• Tammi Marie

September 27, 2010 at 8:27 am

Are you still using either of these?
    I just tried the macadamia one for the first time this morning and I think I am in love. I got a sample size at Ulta for $6 before shelling out the big bucks and I am so glad I tried it.

• Daniel Lighthart

November 12, 2010 at 2:53 am

After read buyers site, I think Your article is amazing! I am in truth like Your article. I bookmarking Your homepage! I rely on buyers went behave best out of Nowadays on.

• Ayya

July 13, 2011 at 6:49 am

I have a few questions regarding these hair oils, after watching your videos I decided I would like the Macadamia Oil better.
    I have quite healthy hair (at least in my opinion), it’s not dry or damaged at all, even though I do colour my hair very regularly. would it still be useful for my hair?
    But it would be nice to have shiny, frizz-free, tangle-free hair, reduce the drying time or just have healthier hair like they claim it would.
    Also, I rarely blow-dry my hair I just let it naturally dry, would that be OK too if I use this product?

• angelique

September 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm

the macadamia oil is a miracle oil !…i tried it an now i am completely hooked! I use it every day!….my hair are more supple and shiny..not greasy…it redefines the curls on frizzy hair and tames it, and if you color your hair it is wonderful, adds more shine and takes dryness away..I highly recommend macadamia oil, and i think it smells really good too :)