The Best Product Combo for Fine, Wavy Hair

I’m thinking we need a Hair Thursday “Best of” Series. What say you?

Here’s the dealio. I receive an enormous amount of products for review, and the truth is, most of them don’t get me very excited. However, occasionally I will buy (or receive) something that knocks my ever-loving socks off and I feel the need to tell you all IMMEDIATELY. (Let’s just pretend you are waiting with bated breath to hear my product synopsis, mmmkay?)

Moving along! Best Product Combination for Fine, Wavy Hair goes to:

*drumroll*

bb

Bumble and bumble Tonic Lotion and Curl Conscious Defining Creme

These products are good alone, but together they are fantastic. Think Lucy and Ricky. Peanut butter and jelly. Hall and Oates. (What? Priaaavate eyes, they’re watching you. They see your evvvery mooooove. Damn good song.)

bandb

photo credit Bumble and bumble

All of the above looks were created with these two products, and there’s no rocket science involved. See for yourself.

• Prepare hair with Tonic.
  • Work a small amount of Defining Creme through hair, beginning at the nape, moving forward.
  • Spread through more sparingly as you reach ends and tease out ringlets.
  • Air-dry for natural separation.

That’s it. Try it for yourself. (If your curls are of the tighter or coarser variety, try B&b’s Curl Conscious Calming Creme instead of the Defining Creme.)

(Oh. And promise me you won’t try to bathe yourself in the Tonic Lotion. That’s some addictive stuff right there.)

• Tavia

September 9, 2009 at 7:07 am

Thanks for sharing, I really needed some new products info. My hair needs a change:)
    .-= Tavia´s last blog ..Review -Too Faced – Smoky eye – Palette =-.

• abbiebabble

September 9, 2009 at 7:22 am

My hair and I have been in mourning for Bumble and Bumble’s old curl creme since they stopped making it, but I’ve been hesitant to try the new products. Now my hair can look pretty again!
    .-= abbiebabble´s last blog ..Fancy Shoes =-.

• natalie

September 9, 2009 at 8:00 am

well, damn. now I have to go product shopping.

• Lynn @ Walking With Scissors

September 9, 2009 at 8:34 am

Is it wrong that the first person I thought of to use this on is my 4 year old daughter? She had the most beautiful ringlets until recently. Her hair is still very wavy, but I need product to help it look pretty, not frizzy.

It’s probably a sign that I need some therapy when I’m considering paying an arm and a leg for her hair, yet I do absolutely NOTHING for my own…
    .-= Lynn @ Walking With Scissors´s last blog ..It’s Official =-.

• Darcey

September 9, 2009 at 8:44 am

I think my hair would work better wavy if I took some length off of it… but I haven’t had long hair since I was a child, so am enjoying it while I can — it just takes so long to style in the mornings! Boo… decisions, decisions.
    .-= Darcey´s last blog ..Always Busy =-.

• Rhi

September 9, 2009 at 9:16 am

So, before my medical menopause, when my hair was still fairly wavy, I used this combo. The Curl Conscious alone just wasn’t enough to do it, but the addition of the tonic was perfect. Also, I love the smell of the Curl Conscious.

THIS MAKES ME MISS MY CURLS!
    .-= Rhi´s last blog ..Notes to fellow shoppers =-.

• Calee

September 9, 2009 at 10:07 am

Oh you just described my head and offered the solution of glory. So happy.
    .-= Calee´s last blog ..Whaddya Lookin at? =-.

• Sarah, Ohana Mama

September 9, 2009 at 11:49 am

Looks like I might need to give in and get some product, sound like this could make my new found curls/kinks, since having my kids, work for me! Love that you only have to air dry after.

thanks!
    .-= Sarah, Ohana Mama´s last blog ..A mom’s random wish…or two =-.

• All Women Stalker

September 9, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Waiting with bated breath here, actually. :)

-meream
    .-= All Women Stalker´s last blog ..5 Green Posts to BlogStalk … =-.

• mairim

September 9, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Must I buy BOTH? The Defining Creme alone is a bit of a splurge already… Would you say it still works well without the tonic? What does the Tonic do, anyway?

• Sarah

September 9, 2009 at 8:03 pm

That’s the thing, Mairim. I strongly believe they work better together.

If you are looking for just one product for waves, I highly recommend Pureology Real Curl Creme. I think it outperforms this combo, Aveda Be Curly or any of the Kerastase curl products. (When it comes to wavy hair, that is.)

• gidget

September 10, 2009 at 7:53 am

the hair in the upper left is so cute!!! Thanks for the tip on the styling products!
    .-= gidget´s last blog ..Colour Me Cute!! =-.

• Lauren McNeil

September 10, 2009 at 9:06 am

Holy cow, do I ever love Bumble and Bumble products! My hair is wavy and I use their Thickening Conditioner…amazing!!

• brianne

September 10, 2009 at 11:08 am

Yes! A “best of” series would be great! I’m waiting with bated breath as well. I love b&b Tonic. I will have to try the Curl Creme sometime. I just ran out of b&b Surf Spray, and bought the Babaii Beach Spray. Love it! Thanks for the tips.

• mairim

September 10, 2009 at 11:24 am

Thanks Sarah! Looks like I’m going shopping.

• Shannon

September 10, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Thank you so much! I am just beginning to dive into the world of hair products (now that I am employed after years of grad school!) and usually find myself frantically trying to look up your recommendations in various posts on my iPhone when faced with all of the choices in person. And I even have fine, wavy hair! I will be shopping this weekend for these!

• Sarah

September 24, 2009 at 9:33 am

Hi Sarah! This is Sarah ; ) So you think the pureology alone works better than the 2 bumble&bumble products together?

I have long, fine, wavy hair. I try so hard to wear my natural waves with air-drying, esp. since I’m a new mom, but the days I do that I always end up regretting it cause I’m either left with crunchy hair, or frizzy, too-soft, half-wavy something hair.

Do you recommend brushing my hair after I wash it? Or do you think this gets rid of some of my wave? Also, I was recently told to use a leave-in conditioner everyday in addition to my wash-out conditioner. Do you think that is excessive?

• Sarah

September 27, 2009 at 7:47 am

Hi Sarah!

That’s a tough question because it’s such a subjective matter. What works best for me might be the worst for you, and vice versa.

With that being said, I love Pureology Real Curl. It’s the one product I go back to year after year.

Do NOT brush your hair after the shower! You can use a wide-toothed comb to get any tangles out, and if your hair is really fine, I would skip the leave-in conditioner. Hope this helps!

• Christina

September 30, 2009 at 7:27 am

So glad I found your blog! My hair is mid-neck length, fine, wavy (but gets wavier/curlier the longer it gets), and dark brown. I am in the process of growing it out and have decided to not blow dry and straighten it every day as I had been. I needed a GREAT creme that didn’t make it crunchy (I HATE crunchy hair…). This post from you was my answer! I went to the salon around here intending to buy the Pureology Real Curl because I didn’t want to send $50 on product and you said it outperformed the combo, but they didn’t have it. So, I guess it was a sign.

I used just the defining creme today and will use both tomorrow so I can see what the difference is.

Thanks again!

• Christina

October 2, 2009 at 7:41 am

So…I went out and bought the Pureology Real Curl as well. I like them both (the B&B combo and Real Curl). They gave me different looks. The Real Curl was a softer look and the B&B combo gave me more of a defined look (my waves were a little more separated).

Just in case anyone was wondering, and was trying to decide.