25 Things

1. It doesn’t matter what the circumstance, I could be tortured by Jack Bauer with no sleep for a week and STILL not be able to sleep on an airplane or in a car.

2. I have never owned a pet, nor do I care to in the future.

3. In my mid-20’s, I was a sales manager in charge of entertainment accounts in a Kansas City hotel. Needless to say, I have had to deal with a plethora of precarious situations involving celebrities and musicians.

4. Directly after that job, I accepted a national sales position which required me to move out of my apartment, put all of my belongings into storage and fly around the country for a year. I don’t know what I was thinking, but it was an experience I’ll never forget.

5. Without fail, I reorganize my kitchen pantry every two weeks.

6. I am not a people watcher, and I loathe feeling like I’m the object of a stranger’s stare.

7. When I was sixteen years old, I wrecked three cars in 48 hours. Still haven’t lived that one down.

8. Despite that “unfortunate” experience, I am a very good driver. I prefer to call my style of driving “fast and accurate”.

9. I am petrified of food poisoning. I would rather lick a tarantula than vomit.

10. One of my most annoying habits is chewing my bottom lip. I do it without even noticing.

11. I was an early reader and skipped a grade as a child.

12. I do not drink soda and haven’t for a decade. I actually enjoy drinking water.

13. It might as well be Christmas Day when the J. Crew catalog arrives in the mail. It’s my bible, I love it and would profess my love VERY LOUDLY from a mountaintop. Your attempts at mocking do not sway me.

14. I am addicted to flats. Can’t. Stop. Buying. Them.

15. Since graduating college thirteen years ago, I have not lived in the same state for more than four years. We are starting our fifth year in California and I’m feeling the itch.

16. I am not a sweets person. Give me a bag of Doritos over cookies any day.

17. I have a fascination with men’s beards. Ray LaMontagne, call me.

18. My mother just signed up for a Twitter account. This delights/stuns/frightens me to no end.

19. I’m a morning person. I’m exploding with energy the minute my eyes open, and it slowly whittles away throughout the day. I’m pretty much good for nothing after 7pm.

20. If a commercial for a scary movie comes on the television, I have to mute the television, cover my eyes and count to thirty. (You know, to MAKE SURE it’s over before opening my eyes again.)

21. The one memory that makes me uncomfortable to the point of shuddering was a Scuba diving incident I experienced in Cabo San Lucas about 10 years ago.

22. Before having a child, I worried that motherhood would make me an overly anxious person. On the contrary, being a mom has mellowed me out something fierce. (Which is a good thing.)

23. I have two tattoos and am debating re-inking a new design over one of them.

24. I love music. Doesn’t matter what genre. If it gives me goosebumps, I’m a fan for life.

25. With that being said, listening to The Grateful Dead makes me want to off myself. Seriously, it doesn’t matter what song, that shit BUMS ME OUT.

Originally posted on Facebook – this meme seems to be speading like wildfire over there.

• susie

February 5, 2009 at 7:48 am

I wanna know more details about #7, #21, and #23! I like this meme, but I can’t seem to make mine concise enough! Must learn how to shut up.

• ashley.star

February 5, 2009 at 7:52 am

Number twenty two makes me feel much better.

I can be anxious at times, and I’m anxious (ha!) about motherhood someday. I am very anti-helicopter/overprotective parenting, though…so hopefully I’ll mellow out, too.

I love learning from people who’ve already been there. :)

• Janel Jacobs

February 5, 2009 at 8:21 am

Hi!! We love your blog. Wanted to let you know we linked to you in our faves of the week post.Keep up the good work!

• kalle

February 5, 2009 at 8:36 am

i won’t mock you for your love of all things j.crew…i almost always love the things you lust after, or link to, and hold you directly responsible for several items currently hanging in my closet. that being said, where did you shop for/find cute (not ‘cutsie’) maternity clothes when you were pregnant? thanks!

February 5, 2009 at 8:54 am

Kalle, I found most of my day-to-day stuff at Gap, Old Navy and Babystyle, but Chiarakruza had some unique pieces that I wore as well.

Naissance on Melrose and Belly Dance Maternity were my favorite maternity boutiques.

February 5, 2009 at 9:05 am

Wreaking three cars in 48 hours is impressive. I once got pulled over three times in a 6 hour span.

Grateful Dead = BLECH!

• Laura

February 5, 2009 at 9:06 am

As I read #10 I discovered I was chewing on my own lips. It’s gross, but I can’t seem to stop. My Mom does it, too. Nature or nurture, I wonder…

• Mel

February 5, 2009 at 9:07 am

Let’s see….me & #9! We have that in common!

• sunny

February 5, 2009 at 9:21 am

I like how chill and down to earth your 24 are. For some reason a lot of the ones I’m seeing on FB are a little self righteous.

• amy

February 5, 2009 at 9:22 am

I would never have thought you had tattoos.

• Camels & Chocolate

February 5, 2009 at 9:56 am

Wow, I totally didn’t take you as a tattoo girl–interesting!

And I love the fact that you flew around the country for a year…very cool!

February 5, 2009 at 9:57 am

Yes, under this J. Crew exterior are some tattoos from long ago. ;)

• joslyn

February 5, 2009 at 10:05 am

Here’s where we were separated at birth:
    I can not sleep on an airplane either
    I’m a chronic pantry re-organizer
    I want to go to bed at 8pm every night
    Hate every thing about scary movies…all of it…

But I am a major, MAJOR people watcher…

• tutugirl1345

February 5, 2009 at 10:32 am

I’m the same way about ads for scary movies. If I watch, I end up having nightmares for a week.

JCrew is the greatest thing ever.

• Janssen

February 5, 2009 at 10:38 am

I’m such a water drinker too, but I seem to be in the minority. Which is weird because water is such sweet sweet cool nectar to me.

• Leigh

February 5, 2009 at 10:40 am

I am the same way when my J.Crew catalog arrives in the mail. I love sitting down and leisurely leafing through it. It’s such a great time.

• Kaleigha

February 5, 2009 at 11:01 am

I hate scary movies too. Even the commercials will haunt me for days. Also, I cannot wait to have a kitchen with a pantry so I CAN reorganize every two weeks.

• Marin

February 5, 2009 at 11:06 am

“Fast and accurate”…I’m totally going to steal that.

Also, number 23? MUST ELABORATE.

• Rhea

February 5, 2009 at 11:30 am

You must share the tattoo details….I’m intrigued – I never would have thought it!

• Kate P

February 5, 2009 at 11:46 am

There was an article about this meme and its popularity on Facebook in the USA Today this morning.

I am also addicted to flats. Someone asked me if I had flats in every color, and I think I do!

February 5, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I already said so on Facebook, but we are a lot the same. Except I do not have any tattoos. I did used to have a pierced nose, though…

• ali

February 5, 2009 at 12:36 pm

#9.
    i would rather eat the tarantula than vomit.

• am'ti b

February 5, 2009 at 1:29 pm

the fam of 3 over here are so sad to hear you are still down on the dead!

• natalie

February 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm

um, after reading your numbers 9-11 i have concluded that we are soul mates. puke free since 1990 here! there is a virus spreading around my town and i swear to you, it is the most frightening week i’ve spent ever, i am so afraid of catching it. knock on wood for me, will ya. and leave those lips alone! if you’re like me, that’s how you get cold sores. (my grade skipped = 8th) (and i love your blog)

• Miss Virginia

February 5, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Oh do tell more about the tats! I’ve always wanted one, and now you being my fashion guru, here’s my excuse. Also…right there with you on the licking a tarantual than vomiting. Although my complete fear of germs would make me nervous that i’d catch something from that disgusting hairy beast.
    BTW…My hands are cracking and bleeding because i can’t stop with the purell!

• Shannon

February 5, 2009 at 4:27 pm

My husband tries to hide the JCrew catalogs when they arrive… he knows I’ll disappear for an hour (or two. okay, maybe three.) before rejoining civilization. I just can’t help myself!

• Miguelina

February 5, 2009 at 6:05 pm

I’m not surprised at how alike we are but, I’m working on my 25 things too and your #11 is on my list. Like, the exact same words. I also can’t stop buying flats.

I was growing bored of J Crew, but their Spring catalog is making me reconsider my position. I think I’m a winter Anthro girl, J Crew in the summer.

• 25 things « k squared

February 5, 2009 at 7:18 pm

[…] Random Things About Me” list to facebook, so I’ll add it here. As seen on a couple other blogs I […]

• Kristabella

February 10, 2009 at 8:20 am

I have lived in three states. And since moving back to Chicago from Northern California almost 4 years ago, I have the itch. I’ve forced myself to scratch that itch by buying a condo. I figure that will make me stay put.

I really want to move back to AZ, though.

• Anonymous New York

February 10, 2009 at 8:47 am

I fall asleep on airplanes before they leave the runway! It’s like getting hit with anesthesia for me! I think it’s how I deal with the whole I’m-in-a-tin-can-suspended-in-air-? thing. I just don’t understand it. It makes me nauseous to think about.

• Courtney

February 11, 2009 at 5:47 pm

#7 – Uh… how?

#16 – I am so the same way. I looove chips. My hips? Not so much. Actually it’s my gut, but you get the point.

#19 – I wish I were that way. Instead I protest having to get out of bed and around 9pm I find that I’m full of energy.

#20 – Oh, oh, oh, me too. Scary movies piss me off. I’m mad that they scare me. Commercials, too.

#21 – What happened?

• Amanda of Shamelessly Sassy

February 14, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I hate scary movie commerials almost as much as I hate to be stared at. I bit a kid when I was five for staring at me. I still sort of want to bite people if I see them staring at me.

• Mama Bub

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm

#20? ME TOO.

If there’s a scary movie preview before a comedy I get straight up mad. I did not sign up for THAT.