Stale And Desperate

You know that feeling when you haven’t spoken to a friend in so long that in order to get to the present day you would have to spend hours trying to catch them up, but you really don’t want to listen to yourself ramble on about seemingly meaningless shit for hours, so you just don’t talk at all?

Yeah.

So, how’s it going?

Hmm. Yeah.

Well, okay then! Nice talking to you!

I’m at a fork in the road, people. I’m not trying to be dramatic (yes, I am), but I’m going to shut this website down (no, I’m not) if you don’t help me out RIGHT NOW (or maybe over the course of this week).

Let’s see. I could tell you about my trip to Oklahoma, my savant son with a photographic memory, the blossoming love for Ramón, my complete lack of exercise for the past three months and my new workout plan to remedy the situation, how teaching a stubborn 22-month-old how to drink out of a straw is driving me to profuse amounts of alcohol…

Pretty please, do me the biggest favor and help me out of my blogging funk.

What do you know? It’ a handy-dandy POLL! HAHAAAAAAAAA, HOW NOVEL.

If you find that my options blow hard, please feel free to enter your own suggestion (which I’m praying you do). Maybe I can rack up a month’s worth of material or something.

• Neil

June 16, 2008 at 8:42 pm

I would like to hear about the Oklahoma trip. I would actually like to know a little bit more about Oklahoma in general. What was it like growing up there? This IS where you grew up, right? Before I blogged, the only thing I knew about Oklahoma was the Broadway musical, because I was in the chorus in high school. I played one of the “cowmen.” Since I’ve started blogging, I have met several bloggers from Oklahoma. In fact, I think I read more bloggers originally born or still in Oklahoma than I do from bloggers in New York. Is there something about the water or the Oklahoma beef that makes the residents of Oklahoma such friendly writers, hot babes, and have such excellent hair?

• Camels & Chocolate

June 16, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Where was the “all of the above” option??? ;-)

June 16, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Sometimes it’s just taking one thing and writing about it that helps the blog-block. It’d be sad to see you go. :(

• Jen

June 16, 2008 at 9:00 pm

I feel ya on the blogstipation. I think about shutting down every week, it seems. But something always happens, or something funny is said, that’s worth mentioning, so I keep doing it. Good luck to you!

• Mary O

June 16, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Oooh, please write about your new workout plan. I could use some inspiration.
    But actually, they all sound good, so whatevs!

June 16, 2008 at 9:09 pm

As one who has finally STARTED working out again, and whose boot camp is about to end, with no summer option (*sob*), I need deets on the workout plan.

Um. And everything else.

You have been missed.

xo

• Barb @ getupandplay

June 16, 2008 at 9:16 pm

Write about the kick-ass workout plan. Better yet, fly to Utah and kick my ass so I will work out. I’ll book the flight right now…

• MommyTime

June 16, 2008 at 9:27 pm

In these situations, I find it is best to write what is uppermost in my mind. Hence today’s post with cowboy pictures of my 4 yr old will be followed by tomorrow’s post in loving memory of the cartoons I used to watch on Saturday mornings as a child. Random? Yes. But need I say more than “Wonder Twin powers, ACTIVATE!” to get any child of the 1970s excited? I don’t think so. So there you are. My vote is Oklahoma, since I’m fascinated by a state in which every square inch feels like a sauna, closely followed by a play-doh reenactment of trying to teach Wito to drink from a straw. Can’t wait to read whatever it is…

• LVGurl

June 16, 2008 at 9:36 pm

I’ve been ‘stale and desperate’ for months! Ask Brenda! I emailed her a couple weeks ago to say, “Stop making my new banner, I’m shutting down my blog!!” I came to my senses, and I’m still here. And she was gracious enough to still make me some snazz for my new digs.

I voted for your workout schedule. That’s what I’m probably going to blog about for a while…the insanity that IS my ongoing (AHEM, neverending) tri training. It’s all I feel like writing about. “Hey! Look at my new running shoes!!” **crickets**

• slynnro

June 16, 2008 at 9:45 pm

I’m a sucker for work out posts. I LOVE them.

• kasia

June 16, 2008 at 9:54 pm

I’ve gotta vote for the workout plan. I just went back to your posts from last year about running shorts (I’m trying out the couch to 5k thing myself now) and sports bras (I HAVE to find a Lucy store). You’re my fitness trailblazer! Although not my cooking trailblazer… olive pie? Really?

• SAJ

June 16, 2008 at 10:10 pm

yeah, where is the all of the above?!!

• Moose

June 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm

I would like to hear about the workout. And then everything else. Does reading about YOUR workout count as MY workout? I certainly hope so.

• Kaili

June 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm

I would love to hear about little Wito man, cause he’s just to darn cute and SMART too!
    But I would love to hear about how you are your husband met. Your love story.
    Also ditto to “all of the above”

+ I really love this idea about a poll for writing options, so clever, I’m in a rut too. Gosh darn it!
    May I copy you?

• kat

June 16, 2008 at 11:25 pm

well i just wrote about how the BF was in a singing group which had the word pimp in it…so i’m dry for inspiration too!

i vote work out. and then wito. and then wito works out!

i actually voted for other b/c i think you should bring that shopping mind of yours and share your favorite finds here. like which designers on etsy do you like?

• Lisalisa

June 16, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Jesus Christ the straw! I can’t believe the straw is losing here! We’ve got potential for humor, angst, frustration, cute kid pictures, messy kid pictures… what more could you want from a blog post?

• Lisalisa

June 16, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Oh, um, you might try him with a slurpee or smoothie. Thicker things can be easier to drink. Worked for my kid. Dammit I hope i didn’t just take the wind out of the awesome straw post which I am hoping to read here.

• Alissa

June 16, 2008 at 11:51 pm

another all of the above. I have been checking every day to see if there is a new post but nada till today which although a filler is still nice :)

• sunny

June 17, 2008 at 12:34 am

finally you’re back – I was starting to get sweaty withdrawl symptoms! Blog about the oklahoma trip and annoying ex boyfriends that crawl out of the Sonic wood work.

• Tina

June 17, 2008 at 3:50 am

Stale and desperate? That describes my love life.

• Lauren

June 17, 2008 at 4:34 am

I voted for “Other” so you would blog about it all! Plus, maybe, How has being on Nightline changed your life?!

• Sue

June 17, 2008 at 5:16 am

ALL of the above!

• Jen

June 17, 2008 at 5:20 am

All of the above – but I would like to hear more about growing up in Oklahoma. Also, how you came to live in Cali. You know that we’ll all love whatever you write about!!!

• Heather B.

June 17, 2008 at 5:22 am

I want to hear about Oklahoma. I won’t even cry when you mention going to Sonic. Maybe.

• Nicole

June 17, 2008 at 5:29 am

I voted for the work-out plan. I am training for a half marathon, so I would love some tips for things to do on the days I dont run. But, any of those topics sound fun and fab.

• Ariel

June 17, 2008 at 6:04 am

My daughter didn’t want to drink out of a straw either.
    So I made a think milkshake, and sucked it up through the straw and then took the straw out- with a finger over one end- and it flow from the straw downwards into her mouth. Yes. Sharing a straw with a small child is not the loveliest of things. But it worked.
    I varied the position of the straw- at first it was tilted up- then level with her mouth. She really wanted that milkshake- and the thickness of it made it so she had to “WORK” for it a little. It took a few days- I wasn’t going to let her drink a whole milkshake. I shudder to suggest it, but Capri Suns have the little straws that if you put it in the pouch and you squeeze it the liquid flows up without suction. If there is something in there he wants badly enough it might help too…
    HE WILL LEARN! Don’t be too hard on yourself- This whole parenting gig is hard!

Also? get a plate, fill it with bubble solution, and make bubble with the straw. Let him try- this might encourage him to learn how to wrap his lips around the straw? Plus it’s fun?

• martymankins

June 17, 2008 at 6:12 am

Wito from a straw sounds like a story that I’d like to know the ending to. After all, your Twitters that tease about the words the neighbors are making have got me curious

• Jennifer

June 17, 2008 at 6:23 am

Yeah, I’m with everyone else…all of the above!

• Lindsey

June 17, 2008 at 6:26 am

I’m delurking to say you cannot CANNOT shut the site down. But thanks for taking a bit of a break. It gave me a chance to go back and read all of your posts. Yeah. All of them. Let’s just say my productivity around the ‘ol office has been, um, nil.

LOVE the site, so keep on keeping on! Oh, and I vote for all of the above, too!

• Brittany

June 17, 2008 at 6:32 am

I think we need a post dedicated to your flats. Where do you find so many fabulous flats???!!!

• Jenn

June 17, 2008 at 6:39 am

Here’s a suggestion for getting the straw-drinking going: try the Rubbermaid litterless Juice Boxes. (http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd210003) Get the kid to put the straw thingy in his mouth while you hold the box, then give the box a little squeeze. Some of the water/juice/milk will come out into his mouth, and he’ll start to suck to get more. Presto! The idea catches on pretty quick. Worked like a charm for both my kids. Plus, the juice boxes are handy and transportable beverage containers, even after straw training is complete. Good luck! Hope this helps.

• kimmer

June 17, 2008 at 6:41 am

what about sharing some journal entries from college? I also want the work out stuff, and I am all for cocktails while understanding why straws offer so much challenge for the under 2 set.

• ashley

June 17, 2008 at 7:18 am

WORKOUT PLAN!!

Maybe I’ll be more inspired myself… :)

• lisa

June 17, 2008 at 7:30 am

What about a WHOORL post:) just about YOU and YOUR workout and then through some cute pics in there…all of the above DAMNIT! dont goooo whoorllllll:) the workout info sound good too!

• carolyn

June 17, 2008 at 7:55 am

I voted for the straw. I think a lovely photo-montage would be nice. Something edgy ending in a close up of a small crying child. Good times.

• Isabel

June 17, 2008 at 8:34 am

I can’t believe that hearing about Wito and his lack of straw knowledge isn’t kicking ass on this poll. Dude, I’m dying to hear more about it.

Really.

Also, your OK trip is bound to be full of awesome stories. COME ON!

June 17, 2008 at 8:45 am

Holy sht, I hate exercise, please do NOT write about that…

How about you forget the straw, and start potty-training Wito so that you can teach me how to do it as you go?

• Amy in StL

June 17, 2008 at 8:53 am

I voted for the straw option, but really I want to hear about them all. But training children is the most fascinating thing to me. I think it’s because I’m convinced I will be unable to train my own – when I have them – and they’ll just be feral children until they’re taken away by the state.

• amy

June 17, 2008 at 9:33 am

I think we need an all of the above. Take it one day at a time. Oklahoma, Workout, Wito and the Straw…

• miguelina

June 17, 2008 at 10:24 am

*ring*

*ring*

OMG, Whoorl, it’s been so long! How are you?

What did you guys do for Father’s day? Have you bought anything interesting lately? Do tell about those cute boys at the library…

What about your bangs…have they grown out yet? Did you see any old friends in Oklahoma? What did you and your hairstylist talk about when you went out? Did you make fun of bad hair?

Things over at our place are busy. Boring but busy. But it’s so nice to hear from you.

Talk to you later, Bye!

(this is why you should never, ever talk to me on the phone.)

June 17, 2008 at 10:55 am

When I get behind on what’s going on with us, or when I have nothing to write about at all I just write about what I’m eating. For whatever reason people love to talk about food.

• Miss Virginia

June 17, 2008 at 11:21 am

Please bring back Whoorl the running blog!! Or Whoorl the fashion blog with great new clothes and shoes for summer or Whoorl the lip gloss boss blog!
    I so desperately want to start a blog, but could never keep up with it(or even be interesting let alone funny!) I totally admire your dedication, humor and writing style. Whatever you write about will be great.

• Erika

June 17, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Seriously, you could talk about any of those subjects and I would happily read it. I voted for the work out though because I am working out myself and I am constantly tweaking my plan.

• Jennifer

June 17, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Ah, it’s summer, things are slow and topics are hard to come by.

Since the new workout plan is kicking ass in the poll, why not post your ultimate cardio/yoga/krav maga playlist and have everyone else do the same? I love any sort of music/food/book/makeup suggestion post!

• Lisa

June 17, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I am going with all of the above…

• Kerri Anne

June 17, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Funks are super awesome, if only because once you get out of them you feel exhilarated! And less funktified. Word.

• Spandrel Studios

June 17, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Your family get-togethers always seem like such a hoot, so of course I voted for the Oklahoma trip… but then, I haven’t worked out in eons, so getting a little inspiration to work out at home wouldn’t hurt, either.

• am'ti b

June 17, 2008 at 7:42 pm

i am with saj and amy, all of the above. they all sound like great old school whoorl posts. i voted, naturally, for okla. b/c i wasn’t there and “all” of your family makes me laugh in some way or another.

• Karla

June 17, 2008 at 8:06 pm

As an Okie displaced in Washington State, I wanna hear about Oklahoma. I won’t be back “home” for a visit until September. And, please tell me you ate some Sonic while you were there. I hope you had a #1 for me.

• SK

June 17, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Oh please DO NOT shut this website down! I know I may sound selfish, but this is one of the first blogs I started to read religiously when I discovered my love of blogs 3 years ago. I would love to hear about your workout routine as I need to start one myself and it may just inspire me.

• Diana

June 18, 2008 at 3:30 am

I bet if you put the straw in the booze he’d be a straw suckin’ champ in no time.

I would be.