Neilochka’s Great Interview Experiment
1. I read on your blog that your husband is an interior designer. Is your home like a spread in Elle Home or is your home more relaxed and lived in? Do you have any say in your decor, or does Wito really have the last word?
I think our home has all of the elements you mentioned. D is such a talented designer, and I really look forward to entertaining guests in our home. On the other hand, he’s a collector of many (OHMYGODSOMANY) things, which can present quite a challenge given we live in an area where space is a very precious commodity.
One thing I am really proud of is that our house hasn’t turned into a den of kiddie crap. Everything that Wito plays with can be tucked away out of sight from visitors, although keeping it that way is a constant adventure on my part. CONSTANT.
Overall, D thinks the home is our personal space, but I was granted a few shots for those who are interested.
2. I notice you live near a beach. Can you give us a general location of where you are and what the best thing for you is about living so close to a beach?
I live in coastal Orange County. I love living within walking distance of the beach- whenever Wito gets antsy, we pack up the stroller, head out the door and within ten minutes we’re making sand castles and playing in the waves. The ocean is good for mama’s soul.
3. Where did you grow up? What is your favorite grade school memory?
I grew up in Oklahoma and have fond memories of playing kick the can with all the neighborhood kids at sunset.
4. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would it be and who would you go with? What would you do while there?
I would travel to Italy (specifically Florence), mainly because I studied the language in college and was mildly obsessed at the time. It’s pretty depressing that I gave fluent presentations in Italian throughout my last year in college and now can’t remember a damn thing. Do you think it would all come back to me if I visited?
My dream travel situation would be with D, Wito, my parents and Lala’s family. That way, we could experience the sights, the food and the culture together. (Plus, I would have built-in babysitters. Let’s be honest.)
5. I have been following you on Twitter. You seem to have quite an obsession with Blues Clues. Care to elaborate? Who’s a better caretaker of Blue, Steve or Joe?
Ha! Actually, I had never seen Blue’s Clues until last week when I checked out a channel that SAJ had told me about. I watched two episodes with Wito, but was confused as to why there was a different dude on each episode. I immediately twittered my friends, who explained the whole Steve/Joe thing. I’ll have to get back to you on the caretaker issue after some careful analysis.
6. Are there any plans to continue Whoorl’s Running Blog? Suggestions on the best shoes to run in?
Man, there are so many things I would love to blog about, with running being in my top 5. However, my Hair Thursday website, daily posts at ParentDish, and weekly column at (toberevealedsoon) have filled up most of the time I previously used for rambling at this blog. I’m beginning to understand the concept of “not enough time in the day”. (p.s. – hey concept, you SUCK ASS.)
(Oh, and if you have a neutral gait, I highly recommend these.)
7. Tell us a little more about this new love affair with Ramón. Favorite chord? I’m playing Guitar Hero myself and have found my wrists really hurt after awhile. Does the same happen to you and how do you combat it?
Oh, I do love Ramón. 5 months and counting…
My fingers ache more than my wrists these days, but I play through the pain, BABY.
8. How did Hair Thursday get started?
9. What makes you laugh? Cry? Burp?
Laugh: Wito’s intense excitement when he says the alphabet. 30 Rock. Finslippy. My husband’s horrible attempts at falsetto. The way my father creates new words, such a chezigs and wintomint. This video.
Cry: Sick babies. The evening news. This father’s love for his son. The Spice Girls Reunion Tour.
Burp: Spicy food. Although, it’s more of a hiccup-type spasm that my entire dad’s side of the family possesses. Thanks, dad.
10. Favorite swear word?
Fuck- with an emphasis on the “f’, like “ffffffuck”. Be sure to clench your jaw for the ultimate effect.
11. Will you be at BlogHer this July?
I had a great time last year and it’s definitely geographically closer this time around. I would say a strong maybe.
12. Favorite Alcoholic Beverage?
Vodka on the rocks.
13. I read you have an addiction to instruction manuals. What is it about them that addicts you?
I’m all about the details. I want to know how things tick, as well as every possible way to manipulate an object.
14. I also love online shopping. Care to share your favorite online shopping spots?
As most of you know, I have a sick obsession with J. Crew. I fully enjoy purchasing enough for a small country on the website and then returning three-fourths of it at my local retail store. They really love me over there.
Other than that- Etsy, Shopbop, Oompa, Running Warehouse and Sephora.
15. Finally, any thoughts on the Pats – Giants game?
I never in a MILLION years thought the Giants would pull it out. When Eli threw the winning touchdown, our Super Bowl guests went completely ape shit. Wito was running around with his hands in the air, yelling “Tothdow! Tothdow!” I can’t imagine what New York was like last night.
Thanks, Shash! I can finally say my FAQ page is finished. Hell yes.