A Half-Assed Attempt of Whoorlito’s Birth Story

August 3, 2006

9:00am – D and I had our third appointment with Maternal Diagnostics to check on my amniotic fluid issues. We were pretty sure we would receive the same news as the prior visits, but for some reason we decided to pack our hospital bags in the car this time. Oooh, the foreshadowing…

10:00am – The Diagnostics nurse informed us that my fluid level was a 2.5 and to call my parents to make sure they were on their way. It was time. YEE HAW.


10:30am – Admitted to Labor and Delivery. Our room was pretty damn amazing and the view was beautiful even on a cloudy day. I got some ice chips to munch on- turns out I had ice chips for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and the next morning’s breakfast. Looking back, why did I only eat a piece of toast for breakfast? Total bullshit.

11:00am – Pitocin was started through my IV. Oh, have I mentioned that my Pregnancy Trinity of Phobias included Pitocin, Episiotomies and Cord Entanglement? Pitocin? Check.


1:00pm – La la la. I am bored. Contractions are for sissies. What’s that you say? Time to break my water? Okie dokie, artichokie. The nurse informed me that an OB was on the floor and he would break my water shortly. As most of you remember, I know all of the obstetricians who work at the hospital through my job. I looked at D and wondered whom the OB was going to be just as he sauntered through the door. Dr. Biggie Thick Man Hands at your service. Honestly, I joke about this man’s hands all the time at work. HUGE HANDS. HUGE FINGERS.

There are probably 50 obstetricians with privileges at this specific hospital and I had to get Dr. Biggie Thick Man Hands. This was probably one of the most uncomfortable moments of the day. I was only dilated 2 centimeters and he couldn’t get the water to break. Plus, he was trying to get the fetal scalp monitor on Wito’s scalp which involved biggie man hand manipulation to the tenth degree. OUCH.

1:30pm – GUSH. BIG GUSH. Now, this was interesting. Turns out I had plenty of amniotic fluid. It was just hiding out behind the baby, and the ultrasound tech couldn’t find it. I probably soaked through ten big towels…even the nurses were joking about the massive amount of fluid. Um, so now I had just realized that the induction WITH PITOCIN A WEEK EARLY was probably completely unnecessary. Sweet. Well, there was no stopping us now.

2:00pm – Lunchtime consisted of a cherry-flavored popsicle. I hate cherry popsicles, but hell, it was better than ice chips.

3:00pm – Okay, contractions aren’t for sissies. Ouch.

3:00pm – 6:00pm – Ouch. Breathe deep. Center yourself. Mother fucker.

6:30pm – Dr. Epidural arrives. Love, love, loved him.

7:00pm – Excuse me, aren’t I supposed to be able to wiggle my toes? Because I can’t wiggle my toes and my leg feels like it is gigantic swollen bratwurst.

7:00pm – 2:00am – Wow, those sure look like big contractions on the monitor. I bet those would hurt- lucky me I had Dr. Epidural. I want to lick you, Dr. Epidural!

August 4, 2006

2:00am – The nurse reminds me to get some sleep while she is putting a big, uncomfortable oxygen mask on my face. Lady, you try getting some sleep with a big plastic mask blowing residual oxygen in your eyeballs and a blood pressure cuff automatically squeezing your arm off every 30 minutes. Oooh, I’m SO relaxed and sleepy.


2:30am – The nurse arrives. She informs me that I have now been on Pitocin for nearly 16 hours and at the maximum dose for quite awhile. I am currently dilated to 3 centimeters. 3 SHITTY CENTIMETERS. She informs me that they are stopping the Pitocin for an hour, re-starting at half the dose at 4am, and if I don’t respond in a couple of hours, it’s C-section time. At this point, I was so ready to get the baby OUT. I figured a C-section would be in my near future.

4am – Pitocin break was over. Start it up again.

6am – I was dilated to 8 centimeters! THANK YOU SWEET JEBUS!

7am- 9 centimeters!

7:30am – Almost 10 centimeters, except for some damn cervical lip thingy that won’t budge. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, OPEN SESAME!!

8am – Time to push. The nurse promises me that I will have a baby in my arms by 9:00. Commence pushing.

9am – Still pushing. My brain feels like it is going to explode. I keep glancing at Wolf Blitzer on the television- does he have an identical twin? I am literally seeing double from the non-stop pushing. This is when the nurse makes the comment, “You have a such a small pelvis! Did your doctor mention this?”

Um, no.

10:00am – Still pushing. I was literally at the end of my rope- two solid hours of pushing and nothing. I could feel his little head, but apparently, it was stuck behind my pelvic bone.

I can honestly say this moment was the most hopeless and helpless I have ever felt. Everyone had come to the realization that he wasn’t coming out by pushing alone. My doctor informed me I had two choices, C-section or vacuum assistance. I took one look at her and told her LIKE HELL I was going to have a C-section after 24 hours of labor (of course, in my very polite whoorl way). So, vacuum it was.

After 8 minutes of pushing and vacuum assistance, little Wito was born. Unfortunately, he had his cord wrapped tightly around his neck and every time the OB tried to suck him out, the cord pulled tighter and tighter. It was like a war between the cord and the vacuum and little Wito was the innocent bystander. Oh, and cord entanglement? Check.


The next couple of hours were a true blur…all I recall was not hearing him cry and wondering why, 10 people in my room standing around him talking in hushed tones and a neonatologist explaining the risks of a blood transfusion to me while I was being stitched up. Episiotomy? Hell no. TAKE THAT OH HOLY TRINITY OF PREGNANCY PHOBIAS! DENIED! BOOM SHAKALAKA!

Then a nurse brought him to me, let me kiss him on the cheek and whisked him away to the NICU. And that was that- I didn’t even get to look at his sweet face for more than 5 seconds.


The following hours were filled with a lot of crying and praying while waiting for the epidural to wear off so I could be wheeled up to the NICU to see him. Luckily, D was allowed to see him after an hour and called to let me know he was doing okay. Those five days in the NICU seemed to last forever, but Wito grew stronger every minute of every day.

And now he’s a champ.


The end.

  • nabbalicious

    August 21, 2006 at 3:29 pm

    Wow. You’re a champ, too, getting through all of that with so much humor! I’m glad everything worked out so well in the end. Anders is beautiful! Congratulations!

  • lisa_h

    August 21, 2006 at 3:58 pm

    the fact that you managed to have a sense of humour (love the ‘peace’ photo – i think i would have been giving the camera a different finger salute)…makes you the champ! holy crap.

    and i see that a tennis ball and Kiehl’s lip balm are necessary items to pack in my hospital bag? check. so glad everything turned out so beautifully – he’s absolutely perfect!

  • Janice

    August 21, 2006 at 4:20 pm

    I came across your blog through someones link.
    Your birth story is hilarious! Congrats for surviving! and your baby is adorable!!

  • Tina

    August 21, 2006 at 4:26 pm

    He is so precious! I love this age!

  • SAJ

    August 21, 2006 at 4:35 pm

    I love happy endings… and Shakala booms!

  • Maliavale

    August 21, 2006 at 4:39 pm

    Aw, man! You were a trooper, and so was he.

  • lissa

    August 21, 2006 at 5:05 pm

    Oh my goodness he is so beautiful! Which obviously means he looks just like you!

  • Sereniy Now

    August 21, 2006 at 5:09 pm

    I won’t lie to you Whoorl. I am disappointed that Anders wasn’t named Shamacus, this was the best birth story, and most beautiful baby I’ve ever seen. I’m so glad everything has gone so well after such a scary start.

    (And totally kidding on the Shamacus thing.)

  • don't call me ma'am

    August 21, 2006 at 5:11 pm

    Way to kick the trinity’s ass!

    Thanks for sharing your story. It brought back such memories. Plus, you have such a great present from it all!

  • Sara

    August 21, 2006 at 5:18 pm

    Thanks for sharing your story, you look great!

  • Amanda

    August 21, 2006 at 5:49 pm

    A whoorl-tacular birth story! Not half-assed at all, if you ask me. I am so glad little Anders is OK and that you were able to dodge the c-section. He is beautiful and you did wonderfully. And I loved my Dr. Epidural too. For my next baby I plan to request the epidural when I am at 0.25 centimetres. Sweet bliss!

  • Kim

    August 21, 2006 at 6:03 pm

    Wow. Having kids really does change a person – Before I had my baby, sure I would have felt emotion at your sister but geeze – tears? I was a blubbering idiot by the end of your story! That never would have happened before. And with it being so fresh for me, the fear and uncertainty you must have felt would have been terrifying. I can’t even imagine. I am so glad everything worked out – what a little trooper. And you! My God – in labor for over a day and hours of pushing? You are a very strong woman. I’m so happy for you and your family!

  • Kim

    August 21, 2006 at 6:05 pm

    At your sister??? Thank God I can blame baby brain… emotion at your story – I don’t know where the hell “sister” came from.

  • LVGurl

    August 21, 2006 at 8:49 pm

    Half-ass or not, your story brought a tear to my eye!

  • Sarcomical

    August 21, 2006 at 10:13 pm


    prettiest pregnant chick ever.

    he isn’t too bad, either. ;)

  • sbmeepers

    August 21, 2006 at 11:10 pm

    What a story! Whew! So glad you are both ok. Those are the Best labor pictures I can recall seeing, and Anders is soooooo cute! Thanks for keeping us, your adoring fans, posted – I know you must be exhausted from your little “vampire”, but thank you.

  • R*Belle

    August 21, 2006 at 6:57 pm

    You did an amazing job. He is beautiful.

  • BeachMama

    August 22, 2006 at 5:33 am

    Great story. You definately look like a pro in your photos. Pushing for two hours sounds about right to me (we did the same). You are a trooper, I don’t know how you made it through the drip, that alone would have killed me I am sure.

    Anders is beautiful and although his entry to this world was a bit scarey, I am sure it was all worth it and you may find that you want to do it again one day.

  • Jessie

    August 22, 2006 at 5:41 am

    So glad you all made it through that okay! Anders is such a cutie! And congrats on no episiotomy – that is my number one labor-related fear.

  • Emily

    August 22, 2006 at 6:15 am

    He is so adorable. So glad you’re fine and he’s fine because holy lord that sounded traumatic.

    However, might I request a photo of Dr. Biggie Thick Man Hands? I’m so curious!

  • Ceece

    August 22, 2006 at 6:52 am

    so wait, why did he have to go the NICU?

    Also I was given the vacuum/c-section choice too, apparently he was stuck behind my pubic bone as well, and i am NOT tiny :-)

    Glad to hear everything is going well now though!

  • Sarah

    August 22, 2006 at 7:01 am

    Thanks for sharing your story, sounds like quite an experience. Congrats on the little one, he is beautiful!

  • Angella

    August 22, 2006 at 7:12 am

    I had the vaccuum and then forceps with my first – you do what you can to get them out :)

    It’s all worth it in the end – he’s SO BEAUTIFUL!

  • Minal

    August 22, 2006 at 7:51 am



  • GG

    August 22, 2006 at 8:53 am

    Ohmygod, they can vacuum babies out? I know nothing. Except, of course, that Anders is unbelievably cute!

  • rebecca

    August 22, 2006 at 11:00 am

    So glad he is doing well now… he’s absolutely beautiful.

    btw, I was a victim of all three tenets of your trinity… gah.

  • Tan

    August 22, 2006 at 4:24 am

    You look so calm and relaxed in the photos…gotta love the epidural eh? :) Anders is adorable and I love the choice of name.

  • Sarcastic Journalist

    August 22, 2006 at 11:30 am

    I don’t know if it is my Crazy Meds finally working but I have two emotions: Pissed at the hospital for the induction and all the pushing and #2 Sadness that they whisked him away.

  • Lin

    August 22, 2006 at 2:34 pm

    I can only imagine how worried your parents were through your ordeal (I take everything and transfer it to how the grandparents feel…sheesh) and it was an ordeal. I’m sure you have a few questions to ask your ob-gyn at this stage, though. For you and Baby Anders to go through that stress is just wrong.

    A more than happy ending, though. You have a beautiful boy.

  • Darren

    August 22, 2006 at 7:56 am

    Wow! That was a nail biter!

    I think it’s awesome that you had one of those babies with glowing feet. Score!

  • kris

    August 22, 2006 at 4:48 pm

    I think I dated huge fingers. Neither here nor there.

    Well, hot damn I hope this blog is still around so he can read this before his prom. You are a beautiful, beautiful woman and a rightfully proud mother. Good for you, sweetness.

    And I must ask . . . did you think about blogging this at any point during delivery? Because I was thinking of you blogging it. Creepy, yes, but true.

  • whoorl

    August 22, 2006 at 5:01 pm


    I totally wanted to live-blog the labor- I even had my husband go home and get my computer. Talk about creepy.

    The damn “state-of-the-art” hospital didn’t have internet access…are you kidding me?

  • poobou

    August 22, 2006 at 10:23 pm

    I probably shouldn’t have read this entry, as I’m currently 4 months pregnant and you just scared the ever-loving bejeezus out of me.

    So glad everything turned out ok – pitocin, NICU and all. He’s adorable.

  • Annika

    August 22, 2006 at 11:21 pm

    I am so sad that you didn’t get to hold him right away. Glad, of course, that he is healthy now — if a trip to the NICU is what made that possible, then it is good, of course. But still a little sad for you. (And damn those epidurals for not wearing off instantaneously!) He is gorgeous. GORGEOUS. I hope your exhaustion improves soon! The first weeks are so hard.

  • Heather B.

    August 23, 2006 at 6:51 am

    Excellent birth story. Kept you on the edge of your seat and yet was nice and to the point with an overall happy ending. Two thumbs up!

    Oh and that is a very very cute little baby you have over there.

  • lainey

    August 23, 2006 at 7:17 am

    Thanks for the story. He’s beautiful!

  • ms. sizzle

    August 23, 2006 at 7:56 am

    a) you are hilarious, b) you look beautiful even when giving birth, c) you’re a total champ.

    i am so glad everyone is okay and healthy!

  • Angie

    August 23, 2006 at 8:04 am

    What a great birth story! And so organized. . .
    The baby is beautiful. Congratulations to your new family.

  • Debbie

    August 23, 2006 at 12:11 pm

    Man, that hurt to *read*. I thought I had it bad at a twenty minute labor. Really hurt and I had no epidural – sissy :P

    He’s adorable and I don’t *do* babies. I hope he’s doing OK now. Aw. Just make sure you stop yourself from biting him. They don’t like it.

    Oh and p.s. you’re beautiful.


  • PLD

    August 23, 2006 at 9:08 am

    hee hee – great recap, and glad to hear the little fella is growing stronger.

  • Amy

    August 24, 2006 at 8:19 am

    what a birth story! wow! i can’t imagine going through all that. little anders is so worth it though! congrats…

  • lei

    August 24, 2006 at 9:12 am

    that sucks that you (and anders!) had to go through all that after discovering you had enough fluid after all. but nice save on avoiding the c-section!

    i had the same lamentations about our “state-of-the-art” hospital. i, too, thought i’d be able to live-blog from there and keep myself entertained on the internet and was extremely perturbed when we couldn’t get a signal. the lame-o webtv they had just didn’t cut it.

    anyway, hope you’re recovering well :)

  • reluctant housewife

    August 25, 2006 at 1:08 am

    They had to use the vacuum on me too! He was stuck in my pelvis, but nobody has ever said that it is “small”. Hmmm.

    Beautiful story. I just had to check in on you from our vacation.

  • cocodrie

    August 25, 2006 at 8:39 am

    Even though I’d heard it from you vocally…this still makes me laugh each time I read it! YOU have such a witty writing style, and I totally agree that your sense of humor over such a challenging moment will take you far. The peace photo is cuh-lassic.

    He IS a champ, a gorgeous, and I can’t wait to see him next week. Big hugs from all in my family to your family. xoxo